Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

vCon Placement in UCS

Hi there,

I have a question in regard to placement of vnic's in UCS specifically to the vCon assignment.

In my system I have B200M3 servers with the UCS Vic1240+mlom port expander card.

What I'm wondering is how many vCon's I have in my system?  From what I have read, each vCon is the virtual representation of the physical adapter, so in my case I would have a single vCon.  This would make sense, because when I look at where the system has placed my vnics, they are all associated to vCon1.

However, when I look at the "Modify vNIC/vHBA Placement" and do a specify manually, I see four vCons (vCon1 - vCon4).  Are these there by default, and/or should I be able to use vCons 2-4?  If I am able to, then I wonder why the system has only chosen to use vCon1 ?

Any assistance in this understanding would be gratefuly received!

Thanks

Dominic

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
VIP Red

vCon Placement in UCS

vcon is equivalent to physical I/O adaptor; in your case VIC-1240 + port expander is 1 I/O adaptor, therefore you have only one vcon.

the fact that 4 vcon's appear, has to do with the fact, that UCS C-Series servers can have up to 4 I/O adaptors; B-Series servers are limited at the moment to 2 I/O adaptors.

5 REPLIES
VIP Red

vCon Placement in UCS

vcon is equivalent to physical I/O adaptor; in your case VIC-1240 + port expander is 1 I/O adaptor, therefore you have only one vcon.

the fact that 4 vcon's appear, has to do with the fact, that UCS C-Series servers can have up to 4 I/O adaptors; B-Series servers are limited at the moment to 2 I/O adaptors.

vCon Placement in UCS

Great thanks very much, it's as I thought, just wasn't sure why I saw 4x vCons, but now I know.

Re: vCon Placement in UCS

The only question remains is; Suppose you always want to have a specific order with one adapter, but once you move a Service Profile to another server with two adapters, you want them to be spread amongst these two adapters in a round-robin fashion. For example:

One Adapter: vCon 1:

1 - iSCSI_Eth0

2 - iSCSI_Eth1

3 - Eth0

4 - Eth1

5 - VM_vEth0

6 - VM_vEth1

Now if you move above configuration to another server with two adapters:

First Adapter: vCon 1:

1 - iSCSI_Eth0

2 - Eth0

3 - VM_vEth0

Second Adapter: vCon 2:

1 - iSCSI_Eth1

2 - Eth1

3 - VM_vEth1

Is this correct? I think I have to alway spread them amongst two vCons or select automatic placement, right? With boot from iSCSI this can be tricky.

Boudewijn

VIP Red

Re: vCon Placement in UCS

I usually recommend the following

1) use different service profiles for blades with one resp. two I/O adaptors

2) never use automatic vnic/vhba placement, do it manually

3) do you really need 2 adaptors ? in most environments one is enough (VIC-1240 plus extender counts as one)

4) avoid any rathole discussion about the MTBF resp. single point of failure of the single I/O adaptor; I have never seen a failing I/O adaptor, and btw. there are other single point of failures on the blade; thats why you would scale horizontally, and setup e.g. a DRS cluster

vCon Placement in UCS

I fully agree. I don't need or want two adapters. In our case we use a VIC 1240 + port expander. But of course you want to have the correct settup in case of scalability, blade/server replacement and so on. Just curious about it.

Views
Helpful
Replies