Views
Helpful
Replies

Virtual Connect Flex-10 with Cisco 6513 Switches

abbas.ali
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have the following configuration and I suspect that there is a loop, but will need someone to verify.

We  have (2) HP C7000 Enclosures with each enclousure  has (2) Flex-10  Modules and each Flex-10 module has (2) 10Gb LACP connected to Cisco  6513 switches  A and B respectively.

Enclosure A

C7000—Flex 10 Module 1,  two 10Gb ports (LACP) connected to Cisco Switch A

C7000---Flex 10 Module 2,  two  10Gb ports (LACP) connected  to Cisco Switch B

Enclosure B

C7000—Flex 10 Module 1,  two 10Gb ports (LACP) connected to Cisco Switch A

C7000---Flex 10 Module 2,  two  10Gb ports (LACP) connected  to Cisco Switch B

I  don't know much about HP Flex-10, but I can certainly see a definite  loop causing network to flapping up/down with high CPU Levles,  Guest Operating  Systems on Virtual Machines are timing out etc.  Problem is kind of Intermittent.

The  only way one may bypass STP without causing a loop by LACPing from the  same VC Module either going to the same physical switch or two different  switches in a same cluster such  Cisco VSS.  Correct!!

I don't why Cisco 6513s are not able to detect redundant links and put ports in a blocking mode. 

I will appreciate if someone who knows HP Flex-10 and how it behaves with Cisco Core switches and how to fix this issue.

1 Reply 1

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Flex-10 modules have internal stacking links between them, so you do have a loop.  I'm not sure if you can disable this or not, but as it stands you can see this would cause a loop. 

If you can disable these internal links you would eliminate the loop.

Might want to check your HP documentation to confirm.

Regards,

Robert

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card