Views
Helpful
Replies

Virtual MAC-Address on Solaris 10 update 9

Matteo Belletti
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i'm installing Solaris 10 update 9 on UCS B-Series (B230 M2 or B440 M2) with M72KR-Q Adapter. We create the Service Profile with vNIC associated to vNIC Template. The vNIC Template use the MAC Pool Address configurated.

When we run ifconfig -a on Solaris we can view only the original MAC-Address instead of Virtual MAC-Addres. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance

4 Replies 4

florent.tymen
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I've no M72KR-Q adapter in my lab so i can't test it but i think you can't create vNICs or vHBAs with this card.

I think you can create vNics and vHBAs only with adapter like M81KR.

However, my answer must be verified by Cisco.

Florent

Hi Florent,

with M72KR-Q you can virtualize only 2 vNICs and 2 vHBA.

Follow this link, at figure 2:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/ps10265/ps10493/data_sheet_c78-623738.html

So, it's strange that Solaris can recognize Virtual WWPN but not Virtual MAC ADDRESS.

When you say the "original" MAC are you referring to the Hardware Default?

Ensure your MAC pool has available addresses also.  You can also test unbinding the vNIC template from the Solaris service profile, and manually assigning a MAC address (watch for overlap) to the vNIC and see if that pushes to the solaris host.

If that works, then you have a pool/template issue.  If not, we'll need to investigate further.

Regards,

Robert

Hi,

the MAC pool is not empty. I tried to unbinding the vNIC from vNIC Template and I tried to assign MAC Address manually but Solaris can't view Virtual MAC Address, we have only original MAC Address.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card