Views
Helpful
Replies

vlan overlapping when upgrading to ucs 2.0x

davidcheung
Level 1
Level 1

HI All,

we are going to upgrade to ucs 2.0x from 1.4.3(L).

As we are using vlan 1 as native vlan for ethernet and VSAN 1 FCoe vlan (which is default for 1.4.3L).

Althuogh we are not using VSAN1 at all, our current configuration is using over-lapping vlan for VSAN and Ethernet accordingt to UCS firmware upgrade guide and will create critical alert.

SO I am trying to change VSAN 1 FCoE vlan to vlan 4048 before firmware upgrade The reason picking up vlan 4048 is that we want to keep consistence for UCS new build and upgrade (4048 is default FCoE vlan for new installation of UCS 2.0.)

When i log in the UCS, i found vlan 4048 looks like has been used by UCS internally (cisco doc suggest the same)

4048 VLAN4048                         active    Po1 (Po1 is uplink port channel)

For the VSAN 1 FCoe VLan change, i have 2 questions:

1st question is: Can I change VSAN 1 FCoE vlan to 4048 on 1.4.3(L)? Does anybody has experience for this?

2nd question is:

If answer for Q1 is YES, What's the impact on UCS system (ESX hosts, bare-metal server and virtual machine) when I am changeing VSAN 1 FCoE to vlan 4048?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Unless you are using any traffic configured for 4048, you can ignore about 4048 VLAN being listed for ethernet port channel interface.

Padma

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

VLAN IDs 3968  - 4047 are reserved.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/gui/config/guide/2.0/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_0_chapter_010110.html#task_BECC98E803CB4DE39D256F525C556D89

Default behavior in 2.0

VLAN 4048 - VSAN 1

VLAN 4049 - FCoE Storage Native VLAN

I would suggest you to pick up an ID that does not exist in upstream LAN and assign to VSAN 1 .

HTH

Padma

Hi Padma,

Thank you very much for your response.

We dont wan to use another vlan (we really want to use 4048) due to our roadmap (the ethernet uplink switch will work as FCoE switch as well, which will connect to storgae directly for end-to-end FCoE).

I am trying to change default VSAN FcOE vlan from vlan 1 to vlan 4048 so all fresh installed UCS and current UCS has same FCoE vlan for default VSAN.

I am asking if Is it possible or not to change to vlan 4048 before firmware upgrade?

If possible, what's the impact on ESX host and bare-metal window servers?

Hello,

Yes, you can safely change the VLAN ID to 4048 before the upgrade.

Since you are not using VSAN 1, it does not affect any of your server traffic.

HTH

Padma

Hi,

Thank u very much! Very interesting,

In UCS config guide: VLAN ID from 3968 to 4048 is reserved.

it is my question from.

In addition,we have not configured vlan 4084 currently, but the vlan shows up in the config and allowed on the UCS uplink portchannel as below:

"

4048 VLAN4048                         active    Po1

"

So I worry about we possibly can;t change default vsan FCoE vlan to vlan 4048 as it seem to be a internal/reserved vlan from the above

Hello,

Before upgrade, 4048 is already allocated as fcoe-native-vlan.

scope fc-storage

show detail

set fcoe-storage-native-vlan ?

4048-4093  FCoE Storage native VLAN - valid values: 1-3967,4048-4093

To achieve your configuration requirement of having FCoE VLAN ID to 4048 for VSAN 1, first we need to change fcoe storage native vlan to 4049.

Then, you can assign 4048 to VSAN 1.

Regarding the status of VLAN ID 4048, it is user configurable.

------------------

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/gui/config/guide/2.0/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_0_chapter_010000.html

Guidelines for VLAN IDs

VLAN 4048 is user-configurable. However, Cisco UCS Manager uses VLAN 4048 for the following default values. If you want to assign 4048 to a VLAN, you must reconfigure these values

--------------------

Can you please share the information on the screen shot i.e which section of UCSM GUI 2.0 configuration doc where it is listed 4048 as reserved VLAN ?

I will follow it up to get it updated.

Thanks

HTH

Padma

Unless you are using any traffic configured for 4048, you can ignore about 4048 VLAN being listed for ethernet port channel interface.

Padma

I just found out the UCS configuration guide which I use is published Sep 2011 which advised

VLAN ID from 3968 to 4048 is reserved.

In addition, fcoe native vlan only can be changed only under CLI, is correct?

I am not able to find incorrect information in UCSM 2.0 GUI configuration guide.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/gui/config/guide/2.0/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_0_chapter_010000.html

May be it got updated and you can use it for reference.

HTH

Padma

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card