cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vNIC templace change wants to reboot blade

russ.givens
Level 1
Level 1

I have a vNIC template for VMware.  The vNIC template has a bunch of VLANs that map to port groups on ESXi servers.  I have those vNIC templates in my service profile template that I have used to create some service profiles for ESXi servers.   I unbound the service profile template from the service profiles right after creation.  When I want to add a port group to an ESXi server I got to UCS and add a VLAN then add that VLAN to the vNIC template that is associated with the service profile template and service profiles of the ESXi servers.  That has been working successfully for a year.  Recently, I cloned the service profile template because I needed to create a new profile for some ESXi servers that I'm building.  I had to make changes to the vHBA templates in the service profile template.  I didn't make any changes to networking configuration in the cloned service profile template.  This morning when I added a VLAN in UCS and went to update the vNIC template with the new VLAN it prompted for a reboot of the ESXi servers that were created from the cloned service profile template, but not the other ESXi servers that I created with the original service profile template.  I've compared the service profile templates but can't see any difference (other then what I purposefully changed in the vHBA templates).

What could I be doing wrong that would prompt for the ESXi servers to reboot?  I should be able to add vlans to the vNIC templates without a need for a reboot of the host.

9 Replies 9

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Russ,

Are you using initial or updating template for vNICs /s ervice profile ?

I did a quick test in my lab and observed the following behavior.

UCSM 2.0.1t

1)  Created Initial vNIC template with certain VLANs

2)  Binded the vNIC template to an existing service profile that is associated with a blade.

3)  Unbinded the vNIC template

4)  Added VLANs to vnic template

5)  Binded the nics to vNIC template and NIC is updated with new list of VLANs

Above steps did not reboot the server.

6) Cloned the service profile and associated it with a blade.

7) When trying to add vnic template to the service profile, it prompted for reboot

8) After reboot, steps 3 to 5 did prompt for reboot.

Does it ask for reboot every time you add a VLAN to vNIC template or just during the initial configuration as observed above ?

Padma

the vNIC template and service profile template are updating templates.

It asks for a reboot every time I attempt to add a VLAN to the vNIC template.  The funny thing is I have other service profiles that use the vNIC template that are not prompting for a reboot for I add an additional vlan.  Just the ESXi servers that are using the cloned service profile template.  I went through the cloned service profile template setting for setting and compared it to the service profile template that I had cloned it from and they are the exact same except for the vHBA settings.

Hello Russ,

Please open a TAC service request to further investigate the issue.

Padma

yeah, already did.  They are saying it is a defect presently.  I'll reply when they have investigated further and provided me with any solution.

Thanks for your help.

So, how do you get around this?

I have same problem, any news!!

This typically indicates an underlying change is pending reboot on the blade, outside of the changes you made, unless they were disruptive.

You can open a TAC case to investigate or if possible acknlowedge the reboot after evacuating the blade. You can run 'tail svc_sam_dme' from the local-mgmt console on the FI and see what change is prompting the reboot when the pending task pops into UCSM.

UCS#connect local-mgmt

UCS#(local)tail svc_sam_dme

Thanks a lot, i will try !!! 

Thanks a lot, works fine!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card