cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WWNN and WWPN Pools

Dragomir
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to setup wwnn and wwpn pools but i want to identify them per location and per fabric

so something like

20:00:00:25:B5:11:0A:00

11 is the site location

0A is fabric A

but

what should i use for wwpn? 

can i use 21:00:00:25:B5:11:0A:00 ?

cisco said i should stick with 20:00:00:25:B5:xx:xx:xx format

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Have a look at the attachment

View solution in original post

David Varnum
Level 4
Level 4

This is typically the schema I follow:

WWNN Pool

20:00:00:25:B5:GH:IX:XX

G = Site

H = Domain

I = Organization

XXX = Pool

WWPN Pool

20:00:00:25:B5:GH:IJ:XX

G = Site

H = Domain

I = Organization

J = Fabric

XX = Pool 

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Have a look at the attachment

hi

wha is a domain id? or maybe what are ucs domains?

thanks

A UCS domain is simply a pair of Fabric Interconnects and whatever is encompassed underneath (chassis, blades, etc).  Typically each physical site will have only 1 UCS domain, but sometimes a site may have 2 or more UCS domains.  Better to plan for scalability.  

ok got it. Is the UCS Domain something I can define on a fabric interconnect or UCS Central?

Thanks

Hi,

You have to give your UCS "Cluster" a name. If you are using more than one UCS "Clusters", you can give them numbers.

We have only one UCS, but as it is the first UCS we bought. So we named it "ucs01", so it has the domain ID 1 (logical). Its name in reporting and UCS Central is always "ucs01".

And you automatically define a ucs domain, if you configure your ucs. You configure a UCS Cluster, FI-A and FI-B. All around that Cluster, UCSM, FI-A, FI-B, Chassis below, servers below... is in that UCS domain named "ucs01".

/danny

We have only one UCS, but as it is the first UCS we bought. So we named it "ucs01", so it has the domain ID 1

This is of course the name, which has only local significance. DNS names are global, and therefore have to be unique.

However, a UCS domain ID, encoded somewhow e.g. in a MAC address, has global significance: e.g. you have vlan's spanning datacenters; which could lead to duplicate MAC, and the same applies for pwwn, nwwn....

A UCS domain consists of the following hardware pieces:2  FI's and 1-max 20 chassis, and or 160 rack mounts, or a mix of blade and rack, with a max total of 160 servers.

A UCS domain id is simply a number, which is used, to make all the pools (UUID, MAC, pwwn, nwwn) unique, encoding it in MAC,..... format.

This uniquness has to be guaranteed externally by proper design; UCSM works per UCS domain, and has no clue about other domains.

UCS Central is different; it introduces the concept of global pools, (the per UCS domain are called local pools), which you would use, if you create global service profiles, that can be moved between UCS domains (and this is disruptive ! not to be confused with vmotion)

David Varnum
Level 4
Level 4

This is typically the schema I follow:

WWNN Pool

20:00:00:25:B5:GH:IX:XX

G = Site

H = Domain

I = Organization

XXX = Pool

WWPN Pool

20:00:00:25:B5:GH:IJ:XX

G = Site

H = Domain

I = Organization

J = Fabric

XX = Pool 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card