Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco ALG, H.323 & Proxy Gatekeeping - Is it possible?

I've designed a managed video conferencing solution for a service provider. The VC equipment (codecs, bridges, gatekeepers...) are non-Cisco but the underlying infrastructure is a MPLS VPN using Cisco kit. What I would like to do is create an Internet breakout for external VC calls. I have a Cisco 2611XM running c2600-ik9o3s-mz.123-24.bin which I'm using to test this to prove the theory before I beef up the hardware. I'm hoping I can get a Cisco router to do achieve my requirements rather than using another non-Cisco device in my solution.

My 2611XM's LAN interface is connected to the VC core. The external interface is connected to the Internet. I know of other non-Cisco hardware which can do what I want my 2611XM to do so I know it's possible in theory. I want external VC end-points to direct their video calls at the external interface of my router e.g. E.164@2611XM. The 2611XM will then need to send a request to the non-Cisco gatekeeper to resolve the E.164. The gatekeeper responds with its address for call routing (GK is in routed mode). The call setup is routed to the correct VC EP/Bridge and established. The external customer never knows about the IP address's of the GK or the internal side of the 2611XM.

Is it possible to configure a Cisco router to proxy a H.323 request to the GK?

Has anyone done anything like this before or know how to do it and can point me at some relevant documentation?

Thanks,

Mike

1 REPLY
Bronze

Re: Cisco ALG, H.323 & Proxy Gatekeeping - Is it possible?

No, if you are using the H.323 protocol for VOIP and proxy-server to act as gatekeeper functionality.

The is other solution which is quite similar to your question is using the SIP protocol but not H.323 protocol. http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/sipproxy/admingd/ver1_2/sgappb.htm

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121newft/121t/121t1/0251clmb.htm

Views
Helpful
Replies