cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DMS Questions

scobb
Level 1
Level 1

I need to take a live Cable TV feed and send it to my Web page for all people to see . If I use the DMS-DME-1000 to take the live cable feed in I need to know the following :

1) Can the DME send a live Video directly to a web page or do I need a streaming server

2) Does the DMS product only support Multicast by itself ? Can I send a Unicast live video stream to my web server using a DME ?

3)If I need a streaming server of Unicast support is the only option a WAE

4) Do I need the Cisco Video Portal to be able to display the Live video on my web page ?

5) Will I need both the Digital Media Manager & ACNS software to be able to do this ?

6) What is the difference between using a WAE , Cisco Streaming Engine , & a Windows Media Service on a Windows 2003 Server as a streaming server ?

10 Replies 10

aghaznavi
Level 5
Level 5

I think it can send the live feed to web page

manu.shar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Scobb,

I came across these questions and would try answering them for you. Hope this helps .

1. You would require a streaming server like ACNS or microsoft streaming server applications to send it across.

2. To best of my information, unicast is not supported. May be someone can pool in their thoughts.

3. WAE running ACNS software will provide with streaming video feature.

4. Video portal is required.

5. Both would be required. DMM is an integral part of DMS solution and controls the encoder.

6. not much idea on Cisco streaming engine, WAE running ACNS software and Windows medial streaming service provides the same functionalities. Again need to double check.

Hope this help.

Manu

Charles Little
Level 1
Level 1

We are A Cisco partner specializing in DMS. Let me take a shot at these questions.

1) Can the DME send a live Video directly to a web page or do I need a streaming server

No,you will need a streaming server of some type. Windows, helix, or flash.

2) Does the DMS product only support Multicast by itself ? Can I send a Unicast live video stream to my web server using a DME ?

Unicast is supported. Yes

3)If I need a streaming server of Unicast support is the only option a WAE

A WAE will not work. you need a streaming server. Windows, helix, flash

4) Do I need the Cisco Video Portal to be able to display the Live video on my web page ?

No, just the streaming server. You will link to the unicast or multicast stream from the server and either launch a player or embedd the stream in the web page. The video portal is just another target application that can display the video stream.

5) Will I need both the Digital Media Manager & ACNS software to be able to do this ?

No not at all. The DMM controls the Video Portal and Digital Signage and is not required to do live streaming.

6) What is the difference between using a WAE , Cisco Streaming Engine , & a Windows Media Service on a Windows 2003 Server as a streaming server ?

Two completely different devises. A WAE is basically a web server that is a component of a Cisco ACNS or WAAS deployment on a network. AS part of the Application content networking system the WAE is an network edge caching device for media. It stores, buffers and streams content delivered from a windows, helix server in the data center to remote LANs attached to a larger WAN network.

Windows Media Service is a streaming software that resides on a Windows server.

I have a more specific question:

Can I stream live Flash video from Flash media server over RTMP to the Flash player implemented in the Flash profile of the DMS video portal?

The documentation I read so far (Cisco Video Portal 3.5 User Guide) indicates that video portal only supports HTTP progressive download of video, not RTMP streaming. Is this correct?

Correct. The Cisco Video Portal does not support flash streaming.

Thanks. That's what I thought.

Hi Charles

I must mount a lab with DMS solution.

The customers want:

To send to live lesson by TV to student and to recorder the same lesson and send to web server!

It's possible? Send to live and recorder in same time? Any streaming server do it?

Thanks

Peterson

Helix server (by real.com) allows you to stream a live stream, and record it at the same time.

Both the server, and the encoder support this. (IE, you can have the server create a file of the live broadcast, or you can have the encoder client create a file of the live broadcast)

Is it possible to send a live stream and record a stream to a file at the same time? Yes...certainly.

Can any streaming server do it? Most can but that depends on how they are set up. Better to do it in the encoding level. Have the encoder send one stream to the live server and another stream to your hard drive in a higher resolution for editing or play back. If you are using the second stream for "on-demand then it would be possible /maybe better to do it on the server level.

Hi Charleslittle,

I'm aware that multicast need Windows Media Service to make it multicast. But how to integrate to Video Portal? My customer already install DMM, VP and Window2008 EE. And need multicast streaming on Portal. I even already open case with Cisco TAC, but still no solution yet.

I've tried add Non-DME live event as http://server/stream.nsc , udp://multicast:port , rtsp://udp://multicast:port. But still not working. Do i really add as link and play multicast stream in windows media player? because i've tested and WMP work with multicast.

Thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: