Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

DSCP vs CoS

I need to think outloud here, just to make sure I have my barings right.

CoS is stored in the vlan tag, DSCP is stored in the IP header.  So, if I have a phone or an app that can insert a DSCP value into the IP header and then trust all of the uplinks to my destination, when, how or why would CoS ever come into the picture?  Looking into deploying QoS on both wired and wireless networks and want to solidify my understanding.

2 REPLIES
Silver

DSCP vs CoS

If you have the option it's better to set DSCP because that can traverse the network without being rewritten. Some devices only know how to set CoS which means you don't have a choice.

Switches use CoS to DSCP mapping for queuing internally though.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Daniel Dib CCIE #37149 Please rate helpful posts.
Super Bronze

Re: DSCP vs CoS

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

So, if I have a phone or an app that can insert a DSCP value into the IP header and then trust all of the uplinks to my destination, when, how or why would CoS ever come into the picture?

If L3 ToS is supported, the only reason to really used L2 Cos is when L3 ToS is not supported.  (E.g. "pure" L2 switches.)

Views
Helpful
Replies