Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

enabling BPDU Guard on access ports connected to IP Phones

Hi,

I was looking for some advice to see if it is recommended to configure BPDU Guard on ports connected to IP phones to prevent routing loops?

4 REPLIES

Re: enabling BPDU Guard on access ports connected to IP Phones

why u expect routing loop from a port connected to a phone?

anyway u can do it

good luck

My main concern regarding rooting loops is that we have a PC connected to the data port on the phone. I am concerned that if this is invertible connected to another switch (say accidently patched incorrectly) would this cause a loop?

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi Andy,

I just thought that I would add this link to the good info from my friend Marwan. It's a pretty good read :) (well not not Mark Twain ....but)

Root guard or BPDU guard

Enable root guard or BPDU guard on all access ports to prevent the introduction of a rogue switch

that might attempt to become the Spanning Tree root, thereby causing STP re-convergence events

and potentially interrupting network traffic flows. Ports that are set to errdisable state by BPDU

guard must either be re-enabled manually or the switch must be configured to re-enable ports

automatically from the errdisable state after a configured period of time.

From this CCM SRND doc;

Cisco Unified Communications SRND Based on Cisco Unified CallManager 4.x

Network Infrastructure

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_implementation_design_guide_chapter09186a00806e8c42.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

thank you Rob for this nice comment, i really appreciate it :)

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content