cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Gatekeeper na Gateway

sawant_vinay07
Level 1
Level 1

Sir, I am Vinay Sawant fromm India(Mumbai). I am asking about VOIP, VOICE, POTS, GATEKEEPER & GATEWAY.

The current setup:-- 6 Hub Location routers(Cisco 3640) the two FXS cards each. I have configured Pots and VOIP dial-peer. My Boss has asked me to configue a Gatekeeper and Gateway instate of configuring POTS and VOIP on each and every router. Please tell me why gatekeeper and Gateway are usefull here than manual configuration. And how to configure it

6 Replies 6

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Gatekeeper is used to provide address translation, call admission control, and bandwidth management among other things. It allows you to configure dial peers one one centeral router and allow the other gateways to point to this router which simplifies dial peer administration. Also, call admission control can be a compelling reason to use gatekeeper especially if you're not using a call processing component such as Callmanager. Gatekeeper becomes very useful in large deployments. It's usefulness for 6 sites could be debated. Here are a couple of links to take a look at.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk1077/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080117768.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk1077/technologies_tech_note09186a00800a8928.shtml

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

Dear Sir,

Thanks for the information.

From the links which you have send me I have designed the gatekeeper setup as follows.

I have configured a single zone

GK-BZO-----is a gatekeeper at central site

GW-CAL----is a gateway connecting to GK-BZO ( Gatekeeper)

GW-MFT----is a gateway connecting to GK-BZO( Gatekeeper)

-----------------------------------

GateKeeper Config

GK-BZO#show run

!

gatekeeper

zone local GK-BZO ICICIBANK.COM

no shutdown

!

interface e0/0

ip address 172.20.1.1 255.255.255.0

!

----------------------------------------------

GW-CAL#show run

!

interface e0/0

ip address 172.22.1.2 255.255.255.0

h323-gateway voip interface

h323-gateway voip id GK-BZO ip address 172.22.1.1 1718

h323-gateway voip h323-id GW-CAL@ICICIBANK.COM

!

dialer-peer voice 1 pots

destination-pattern 224

port 1/0

!

dialer-peer voice 2 pots

destination-pattern 225

port 1/1

!

Dialer-peer voice 3 voip

destination-pattern 222

destination-pattern 223

destination-pattern 110

destination-pattern 111

session target ras

!

gateway

!

GW-MFT#show run

!

interface e0/0

ip address 172.22.1.3 255.255.255.0

h323-gateway voip h323-id GW-MFT@ICICIBANK.COM

!

dialer-peer voice 1 pots

destination-pattern 222

port 1/0

!

dialer-peer voice 2 pots

destination-pattern 223

port 1/1

!

Dialer-peer voice 3 voip

destination-pattern 224

destination-pattern 225

destination-pattern 110

destination-pattern 111

session target ras

!

gateway

!

GW-DEL#show run

!

interface e0/0

ip address 172.22.1.4 255.255.255.0

h323-gateway voip h323-id GW-DEL@ICICIBANK.COM

!

dialer-peer voice 1 pots

destination-pattern 110

port 1/0

!

dialer-peer voice 2 pots

destination-pattern 111

port 1/1

!

Dialer-peer voice 3 voip

destination-pattern 222

destination-pattern 223

destination-pattern 224

destination-pattern 225

session target ras

!

gateway

!

Is it correct or do I have to read some more documents fro this? If so please suggest.

Regards

Vinay Sawant

ur pretty close to where u need to be. Couple of things to keep in mind.

1. U will eventually have to use the Analog card s to route calls outside ur VoiP network, for example if u want to call a regular phone.

2. One dial-peer can have only one destination pattern and but you can for sure summarize it. like if ur example, you are trying to route 222 to 225, so u can either use a pattern of 22. (The last is a dot which is used in the conf to say any digit) or use something like 22[2345] (This one means the first 2 would be 22 and the 3rd can be either 2,3,4,5.

Also, this config only gets into the Gateway side, so you still need to configure the Gatekeeper.

I hope this helps.

Dear Sir,

As you said one dial-peer can have only one detination pattern that means on all the gateways I have to define the dial-peer for all the numbers on other gateways.

Like On Gateway

GW-BZO there are two phone - 224,225

GW-MFT there are two phones -222, 223

GW-DEL There are twp phones -110, 111

Then I need to create dial-peer voip on

GW-BZO for numbers 222, 223, 110, 111 each

On GW-MFT for numbers 224,225,110,111 each

on GW-DEL for numbers 222,223,224,225 each.

That means I am defining everything manually.

The instate of that I can simply configure pots and dial-peer and no need to configure Gatekeeper and Gateway.

Actually I want to setup my network with gatekeeper and gateway.

Also last para of ur mail is not clear to me.

Please help.

Regards

Vinay Sawant

If u dont create a GK, you will have to do much more routing than with the GateKeeper.

As I'd mentioned, you can use one destination-pattern per Dial Peer, u can still use wild card and use multiple destination patterns as one. For example, when you configure DEL Gateway, you can create one pattern for 224 and 225 by using the pattern 22[45] here. it would match 224 and 225 and another one for 110 and 111 using dest pattern of 11[01]. When you configure a set of digits within the [] (Square Brackets as u mite call it) it can match any one of the digits and when u use a . it would match anything from 0-9.

Also, when using this configuration, you will point it to the Gatekeeper using the command "session target ras"

To explain my last line, what I meant was that when you have large number of sites and keep adding dial-peers to each site, you need to know each and every Gateway's IP Address and keep adding them. When using the Gatekeeper, you only configure the Gateway to send the call to the Gatekeeper and that will make the final routing decission. As your sites increase, it is always more easy to use gatekeepers than Gateways.

The above example is keeping security and routing loops in picture. You can even create one single dial-peer on the router with the destination pattern of "T" where the Gateway would send all calls to the Gatekeeper. If I have to compare it with the Data Network, it is more like creating a default route on the Gateway.

Gateways and Gatekeepers is a very extensive topic. I'd recommend reading docs about them to get more info. It would not be possible for anyone on the forum to take you through complete configuration of Gateways and Gatekeepers.

Thanks!

Regards

Vinay Sawant

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: