cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GRE Tunnel QoS

wdgolden1
Level 1
Level 1

I have a remote site connecting to a secondary site using a GRE tunnel. The remote site has a second GRE tunnel to the main office. The remote site and secondary site are connected to allow VoIP traffic. I am having intermittent bandwidth issues resulting in dropped calls at the remote site.

Where would a QoS policy normally be located? Should it be placed outbound on the physical interface fa0/1? If the QoS policy is placed on fa0/1 how will it know what traffic is inside the VPN encrypted data? I need to prioritize VoIP traffic to eliminate or drastically reduce dropped calls.

I have posted a copy of the router config with secure information removed.

4 Replies 4

gwildfire
Level 1
Level 1

Not an expert on this as have had similar issues myself, saw some improvement using the nested policy as reccomended on this link

-> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk543/tk545/technologies_tech_note09186a008017405e.shtml

Hi,

You need to use "Qos pre-calssify" commande under tunnel interface and aplly Qos to Fastehternet Interface.

And in addition to that the QoS on FE must be of the "parent-child" type where traffic is first shaped then prioritized. Not a simple not very reliable setup all considered. But these are the disadvantages you have to accept for doing VPN rather than using leased lines.

dmooreami
Level 3
Level 3

did you get a working solution? I am in same "boat" as you are. I just need to QOS some H323 traffic.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: