cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

H323 and Firewall

harrylawhorn
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, we currently have Polycom Video conferencing working fine on our LAN. Our ISP has told us that for best performance, we should place the Polycom devices outside of our Firewall (PIX520). They have also said that we should not rate limit with our Packetshaper 2500.

All of our Network device arte Cisco. I have some issues with placing anything outside the firewall.

Do you think that our ISP is correct that our Firewall/Packetshaper hinders Videoconferecing ?

1 Reply 1

teodorgeorgiev
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I do not think that they are right. As well as the PIX and the PacketShaper are correctly configured, they will pass the H323. Even better, you can implement QoS for the video conferencing on your PacketShaper (the Packeteer products are very good in that) giving dedicated bandwidth and priority to the H323 signalling and media (UDP / RTP).

I am operating a large VoIP network with multiple areas separated in different DMZ by a PIX firewall and it works perfectly (though we have had hard time with some Cisco PIX "features").

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: