cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Hardware needed to have VOIP

tintin1981
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to design a network for a hotel and would like to know what hardware i would need to set up and network to for wireless access, VOIP,IPTV, VOD. This would be done at a hotel which is isolated from any populated area.

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

How do you want the Voip, do you have the phones for the room and reception, that is, the hotel has a pbx already ?

Let me give you a sample of what i am trying develop in my hotel network. I want to use a system like VSAT that would allow me to run IPTV, VOIP and Internet over the one system. If i means me taking out the present PBX system at the hotel, then i will.So in a nut shell i would love to hear your opinion on how i should go about this to get all these requirments using fully cisco eqiupment. on a point to note I saw smartbridges have antennas and dishes that can be used.

The problem with VSAT is that being satellite, is not very apt for interactive and voice. Be aware that the quality among VSAT provider can vary a lot so make sure you pick top brand.

This said you can install something like a 2811 with the VSAT network module and connect to the Gilat network if covered at your location. Then add HWIC-ESW four or nine ports to connect directly to the APs of your choice, series 1200 or so, for the wi-fi coverage. If you get the optional POE for router and HWIC you will not need to power the APs. I do not suggest you set an access controller because that makes things too complicated.

For IPtv you need to select set-top-boxes and a platform for streaming content in multicast over the satellite connection. It is certainly doable, but it requires a specialized partner with skills and quite an investment on your side.

If you are happy with the current PBX, leave it. Else look at the solution from cisco, the phones can actually be controller from the router itself up to a number of few hundreds. This is called CCME.

Hope this helps, if so please rate post!

i must tell you Thanks for your reply, it showed some light on the topic.

i am happy with the PBX that I have so now its to have it integrate with a cisco system and benifit us. You have any suggestions.

You can connect the PBX to the same router using digital interface if possible, and it will compress voice and send over the Internet, the call can be terminated by a reputable ITSP / SIP provider, to call and be called from PSTN worldwide. The router will give you a simple call listing with times that you can use for rebilling.

and/or you can terminate the Voip to offices in the mainland, etc.

Hope this helps, if please rate post using the menu at the bottom of the post!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: