cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPTV and Internet access

tostrander
Level 1
Level 1

I am working on sending IPTV On-demand video programs to internet users with high speed access. Does anyone know of an easy way to allow this access (through the firewall) from the IPTV Guide or a URL? Most of what I get is a "RSTP connection failure" to the CM.

2 Replies 2

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Most ISPs don't allow multicast on their networks, it get filtered. Routers, by default, will filter multicasts / broadcasts. If they're not configured to route multicasts, the stream stops at the ingress interface.

You may be able to get by with a few connections using "SmallCast" which is a unicast to a specific address.

Smallcasts are usually used to get content from one IPTV / Video server to another through an otherwise multicast-hostile network.

Unfortunately, the number of SmallCasts allowed is something like six destinations (per stream?).

Also be aware that since SmallCasts are Unicast, each stream will take one stream's worth of bandwidth (6 streams = 6X the bandwidth of the stream).

You may be able to set up Video-on-Demand (which is also Unicast - see the warning above). To get to the Content Manager, make sure the client is pointing to the server (not relying on a broadcast menu), having a "hosts" entry is not a bad idea (or a DNS record, or both).

If you are serving via Web interface, the Embedded code will point directly to the servers and should work across subnets / networks.

The servers seem to want NETBIOS naming. If you have a WINS server available, see that the servers are configured to use it.

That's all I can think of now ...

Good Luck

Scott

Thanks Scott,

We are dealing with a limited number of outside users so I feel that bandwidth is not the issue (for now). SmallCasts should work for this.

Terry

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: