Helpful
Replies

IPTV Client Licensing

dwalsh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Simple question (I think):

How does IPTV Client Licensing work? Scenario: If I have 300 clients, do I need an IPTV client for each and every client? If so, can I get around this by using QuickTime or WM as an alternate viewer?

Please provide as much detail on IPTV client licensing as possible.

Thanks,

Dave

5 Replies 5

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

I'm still searching for an absolute answer, but my recollection is that you are granted a license for each client on your network (unlimited to the extent that the clients (within your organization) are connecting to your organization's IPTV servers).

As for alternative clients, it will depend somewhat on which codec / compression was used to encode the video. Cisco supports MPEG 1&2 (with some variants - D1 / Half D1, etc), MP3, and MP4 (current MS version, not DivX).... maybe some others.

I haven't tried other clients, but my understanding is that there are other compatible clients (like: if it works to receive MBONE streams, it should work to catch similar Cisco streams).

Sorry to be vague, if I can get some time for a better answer I'll repost.

Good Luck

Scott

dnich3556
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Dave -

The client is included with the IPTV "system" (IPTV Server and Content Manager). If you plan to use the embedded video approach, you can use either the web plug-in for IPTV (gets installed by default with the full viewer or can be installed exclusively) or you can use QuickTime as the web plug-in (there's an option in the Content Manager to force viewers to use IPTV client... leave unchecked and QuickTime can pick up the SDP stream). We're currently in the process of deploying the system and plan to use the embedded approach. The client we're deploying (for a couple of reasons) is the full IPTV client. For one, if you plan to use the streamwatch software to log viewer access statistics, the full client allows the viewer to register information about themselves that streamwatch uses for logging (i.e. name, location, phone number, etc). The web plug-in does not install the keys in the registry and about the only information you would get is IP address. On a DHCP network, this is pretty much useless. Anyway, I've rambled on long enough. Hope this helps.

Danny

Dan,

We have also just rolled out the IPTV for the company for 700 users. The streamwatch can be used for the Scheduled programs and not for on demand . Is their a way log the usage statistis for On demand usage ?

Regds/John

John,

I'm not sure. The plan here is to use IPTV mostly for Multicast delivery. On-demand access will be limited to people in management and faculty level postions. Logging this access has never been regarded as an issue.

Have you tested whether or not an On-Demand program shows up in the Streamwatch viewer when it is accessed?

Regards,

Danny

Dan,

No it does not come up in the On Demand category.

Regds/John

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: