cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Linksys SPA942 on Cisco Catalyst C3524-XL-PWR

Sumonule56
Level 1
Level 1

I'm almost pulling out my hair trying to connect a Linksys SPA942 IP phone to use the inline power of a Cisco catalyst C3524-XL-PWR. The switch has been set up as per the procedures for Cisco IP phones. However when I plug in the Linksys phone it does not come on. The linksys SPA942 is a IEEE 802.3af poe device and I expected that plugging it into the Cisco catalyst c3524-xl-pwr should do the trick. Does anyone know if the phone is compatible with the switch? I yes how do I get the bleeding phone to power off the switch?

TIA

2 Replies 2

rseiler
Level 3
Level 3

The 1999 era Catalyst C3524-XL-PWR switch does NOT support IEEE 802.3af power, only Cisco proprietary power for Cisco IP phones and wireless access points. This is a hardware limitation. This is very clear in any of the data sheets or documentation for that switch on Cisco's web site.

You would need a C3550 POE switch or higher to support IEEE 802.3af. If you are using a chassis based Catalyst switch (i.e. 4500 or 6500) then you will need to confirm the linecard support IEEE 802.3af POE, most do not.

Hope that helps. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

/Rick

roadzy
Level 1
Level 1

Did you get this registered in the call manager?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: