Helpful
Replies

MCU and H.323 endpoint

haouaswajih
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

Plz i need help!

I have an Mcu 3515 registered with callmanager as a videoconference bridge.

I have configured SCCP on the bridge and all sccp endpoint are working fine.

But i have one video H.323 endpoint that is registered with callmanager and i want this endpoint to participate in video conference with other sccp video endpoint!!

What should i do? should i add a gatekeeper? or should i simply add the mcu 3515 as a H.323 gateway in callmanager and add a route pattern??

i don't know what to do. in addition, if i want to activiate h.323 in the mcu i should specify the ip @ of the gatekkeper , so is it necessary to add a gatekeeper??

Plz i need help urgently!!

Thx in advance

19 Replies 19

antyeung
Level 4
Level 4

What version of Callmanager do you have?

Hi, thx for ur interrest !

I'm working with CallManager 4.1(3)

and MCU 3515 5.5.

thx again

aherraez77
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You can create a new phone (model type = H.323 Client), and assign a directory number. After that you can do calls without problems.

The Gatekeeper is not necessary if the endpoint has a static ip address and don't need RAS procedure to dial. Otherwise you need a gatekeeper.

Hi, thx for ur respond but i think that u didn't understand ly problem.

In fact, what i want to do is multipoint videoconference! so i have added an MCU 3515. everything is going well with cisco IP phones (video enabled). i have to add the mcu in a MRG...etc,

But the problem that i have a H.323 video enabled endpoint, how should i do to use the MCU 3515 to permit the H.323 endpoint to participate in the same conference with the SCCP video endpoint!

Plz help!

Thx again.

Hi,

I don't know what type of problems, you are finding, but in theory you don't need to do anything more, than you have done.

With the MCU as sccp bridge you have a limitation with H.323 endpoints. the conference must be initiated with sccp clients and this endpoints must join the H.323 terminal.

If this is not your problem, Can you give more details? I understad than you don't have any problem with multiconferences between several sccp endpoints.

Hope this helps.

Thx i really appreciate ur interst in my case.

I hope i'll explain better this once.

Here it's the situation;

I have a several video SCCP endpoints, i wanted to make videoconference so i had to add an MCU to allow Multipoint VideoConference.

I added an MCU 3515 as a bridge in callmanager, i activated the SCCP in the MCU, i configured correctly, so now i can make videoconference between SCCP video endpoints. I testet Mulitparties videoconferences (4 users in same videoconference) and it worked great!!

So the problem now that i have H.323 video endpoint (Polycom Viewstation EX) i want this endpoint to initiate and participate in same videoconference with the SCCP endpoints.

What should i do? should i register the Polycom as a H.323 client in callmanager and make it use the MRGL that contains the MCU bridge(SCCP activated)??

Or should i activate the MCU to use H.323 ? because when i activate this option in the MCU i have to configure the Address of a gatekeeper!!! and i don't have one!!

So Should i just register the H.323 endpoint in callmanager and allow it to use the MRGL that contains the MCU? should yhis work??

Or should i activate the H.323 in the MCU 3515 and add a gatekkeper and register the H.323 with the gatekeeper.

Remarque : i want to allow the H323 video endpoint to initiate a video conference.

I hope u could help me in this plz it's urgent. thx again

Hi,

I you want to allow the H.323 video endpoint to initiate a video conference you should activate the MCU to use H.323 and add a Gatekeeper. both MCU 3515 (with H.323)and polycom endpoints need the use of RAS messages to call E.164 addresses.

If MCU remains as SCCP bridge, the polycom endpoint can not initiate calls, but can participate in multiconferences with sccp endpoints. Is the only limitation it has. It is not enough to use H.323 in MCU, you should use a gatekeeper.

I hope this clarifies your doubts

Hi,

Really thx for ur help. i really appreciate this.

So as i understand from ur reply i have to activate H.323 in the MCU adn add a gatekeeper!

Ok that's clear, but in CallManager what should i do? leave the bridge as it is (to allow SCCP Multipoint videoconference)?

And the configto use the H.323 ? should i add a gatekeeper to tha callmanager and add a H.225 trunk (gatekeeper controlled)??

or add the MCU as a H.323 gateway (in callmanager?)

i hope u could clear this for me plz

Really thx.

Hi again,

I have a lilttle bit notification,

Sorry but the H323 endpoint is not registerd with CCM but with a Gatekeeper!!!

I have a confusion with the configuration of the MCU in CallManager when i want to have a multipoint videoconference where 3 SCCP viedo endpoints(7985) and 1 Polycom video endpoint (H.323) participate all in the same confenrence!

Here is attached the architecture of my videoconference deseign.

I have activated SCCP and H.323 on the MCU.

I have added the MCU as a conference bridge in CCM, and configured MRGL to use this Conference Bridge.i associated the MRGL with the 3 video SCCP endpoint(7985) and now i can do Multipoint videoconference between the three video endpoints (7985)!!

The problem that i want to the Polycom participate and to initiate a videoconference with the other SCCP endpoints.

I have added a gatekeeper, i registered the MCU (H.323 activated) with the gatekeeper!! In CCM i added the gatekeeper and added a trunk Gatekeeper controlled!!

Now here is my problems:

what else to do in CCM??

Should i create a route pattern that points to the trunk ??

or should i add the MCU as a H.323 gateway and a route pattern that points to the this H.323 gateway???

Should still be the SCCP endpoints able to invite the H.323 in videoconference?

PLz help me, i really have a serious problem.

Thx

Hi again,

I have a lilttle bit notification,

Sorry but the H323 endpoint is not registerd with CCM but with a Gatekeeper!!!

I have a confusion with the configuration of the MCU in CallManager when i want to have a multipoint videoconference where 3 SCCP viedo endpoints(7985) and 1 Polycom video endpoint (H.323) participate all in the same confenrence!

Here is attached the architecture of my videoconference deseign.

I have activated SCCP and H.323 on the MCU.

I have added the MCU as a conference bridge in CCM, and configured MRGL to use this Conference Bridge.i associated the MRGL with the 3 video SCCP endpoint(7985) and now i can do Multipoint videoconference between the three video endpoints (7985)!!

The problem that i want to the Polycom participate and to initiate a videoconference with the other SCCP endpoints.

I have added a gatekeeper, i registered the MCU (H.323 activated) with the gatekeeper!! In CCM i added the gatekeeper and added a trunk Gatekeeper controlled!!

Now here is my problems:

what else to do in CCM??

Should i create a route pattern that points to the trunk ??

or should i add the MCU as a H.323 gateway and a route pattern that points to the this H.323 gateway???

Should still be the SCCP endpoints able to invite the H.323 in videoconference?

PLz help me, i really have a serious problem.

Thx

Hi, again

you should add the MCU in CM as H.323 gateway, and then configure route patterns

to extend calls to H.323 devices.

You should, too, add the polycom endpoint as H.323 client (model type).

the trunk between the CM and the GK should be a H.323 trunk.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Hi again,

Sorry but in my last post i have rectified my needs : In fact the Polycom H.323 is registered with the gatekeeper and not CCM.

Plz see my architacture (Attached pic file).

So i need to add the MCU (H.323 activated) in callManager as H.323 gateway and have route pattern that points to this H.323 gateway?

How the MCU will route the call? (i'm using E.164)

I did a trunk between CCM and the Gatekeeper.

plz help it's really urgent ! and thank you for ur interrest.

Plz see my architecture in the .jpg file attached to my last post

Hi,

The polycom and MCU register with GK but the calls between they and sccp endpoints are made by CM. the GK only redirects the set up to CM.

If the polycom endpoint has a Directory Number as the sccp terminals, should be add as h.323 client. I guess that this terminals are integrated in the same dial plan as the ip telephones.

So i need to add the MCU (H.323 activated) in callManager as H.323 gateway and have route pattern that points to this H.323 gateway?

Yes

How the MCU will route the call? I have written the sentece wrong. the route pattern is to extend calls to MCU when it participates in the conference.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Hi,

thx for ur help really.

I have question this time about the h.323 trunk.

In cisco documents it's said that i have to use a RASAgregator trunk instead oh h.323 trunk gatekeeper controlled.

Is this necessary? and how to do it?

Thx in advance.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: