Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

MGCP over H323

I would always prefer MGCP due to its ease of configuration, simplified Dial Plan, and lesser call-setup time. when would someone need H323 over MGCP. In other words, what can not be achieved via MGCP that would require administrators to use H323.

Thanks

• Video Over IP
2 REPLIES

Re: MGCP over H323

currently caller ID with fxo's and T1 CAS is only supported in H.323.

Re: MGCP over H323

Hi,

Here's a few things to consider off the top of my head:

MGCP does not support fractional PRI and BRI. There is a "bchannel maintenance" workaround for the PRI, but you're limited to five ciruits per cluster, and TAC doesn't support it as a production approach.

Drop & insert would be problematic for the same reasons.

SRST with MGCP is more painful to implement - you have to configure all the same pots dial-peers you would have had to configure for H323 in addition to the MGCP gateway configuration. And, you have to more carefully define your route-patterns to align with those dialpeers such that during fallback from MGCP and SRST modes, the user doesn't have to change behavior.

I've often heard call-setup time cited as a benefit of MGCP. I disagree with the lesser call set up time. I've worked with some extremely large clusters, that were purely H323, with and without Gatekeepers, and others that were MGCP only or a combination, and noticed often better setup times from the H323 clusters, particularly under heavy load.

I think, more often than not, poor setup times are a function of poor dialplan, not protocol.

No TFTP download issues.

Better scalability. Lower CCM CPU (no backhaul/q931) in addition to MGCP. Anonymous device support via gatekeeper strategies.

Better integration with non-mgcp, non-sccp devices such as netmeeting, CVP, any of myriad Fax servers, etc.

Video/multimedia support.

my 2c

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.