cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple Gateways on a certain location

MARTIN FUNKE
Level 1
Level 1

When I have multiple gateways on a certain location, which all advertise the same destination pattern to the gatekeeper, what will the gatekeeper do, if there is an request from outside for this destination pattern? Will the gatekeeper route the calls to the gateways randomized or round robin or will one certain gateway get all the calls?

Martin.

3 Replies 3

thusain
Level 4
Level 4

The gateways only advertise e164 numbers for fxs ports. THey do not "advertise" their entire dialplan.

Typically the gateway registers with the gatekeeper using a tech prefix which you configure. Each gateway should register with a difernt tech prefix so the call routing is more manageable.

Hope this helps.

Taimoor

I´ll give you an example what I want to do:

I have a gateway with two dial-peer voice xxx pots, both with destination pattern 0049T for calls from outside to Germany.

When the gateway is registerd to the gatekeeper, the gatekeeper can give this information to other gateways which now can establish calls to my gateway in Germany.

Now I want to increase the number of B-channels from 60 to 120. For this I´m going to install a second gateway here in Germany, of course with a different ip address. On my second gateway I will also have two dial-peer voice xxx pots, both with destination pattern 0049T. When the sencond gateway also registers to the same gatekeeper, the gatekeeper will have now two possible ip targets for the destination pattern 0049T.

So what will happen, if outside gateways ask the gatekeeper for 0049T?

Will the gatekeeper do a load-sharing to the two gateways in Germany? Is the gatekeeper able to see, if a gateway has free B-channels?

Thanks for your reply,

Martin.

The traffic should be passed round-robin across all gateways registered to the same zone (so Cisco says). This assumes that the gateways are equal in capacity. My experience has shown in certain high call environments that a certain gateway tends to be favored over the rest (we have about 10).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: