Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Problem getting Dial tone from Cisco uBR900

Hello

Recently I Purchased 3 Cisco uBR 920 router. Now, configured it to be in routing mode. Howeever, I am not using the cable interface at all. It is shutdown.

When I connect a normal RJ11 Phone in to Voice port, I don't get any dial tone? Usually I am suppose to get a Dial Tone from the router itself before making any calls. My dial peers are fine.

I do debug and I notice that when I pick up the phone, it does its thing to process but do not hear any dial tone just a dead noise. I know my phone is working fine.

is there any parameters I need to change to make the dial tone work?

Thanks

Faisal

5 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Problem getting Dial tone from Cisco uBR900

Voice port on the cable modem is a FXS port so the phone plugged on that port should give you dial-tone once its offhook.

So just make sure that the voice-port is not in "shutdown" mode. Try to put "input gain -2" under the voice-port config. Other then that, you should give you dial-tone.

Hi

I did make sure it is not shutdown and I also see input gain -2 under voice port. Even then it does not work. I though It was my modem but when I purchase another one from a different vendor, it does the same thing.

So I am wondering if I have miss any thing

Faisal

Cisco Employee

Make sure that you have "cable clock-source internal" under the cable interface. Without that command it will not work as well. You don't have to have cable interface up for that. so i think above command you may not have.

This appears to be the exact same problem I am having. I have tried inserting the "cable clock-source internal" but dosent seem to be supported under the cable interface. I have configured it as a H323 GW and am able to make calls to the phone attached to the UBR924 from a 7960 ( via CCM 3.3.r4). The phone rings ok but when I answer I hear nothing even though the 7960 shows call as connected. When I hang up the analouge phone the 7960 disconects. Debuging on the router show the phone go off hook and if I lift the handset. If I configure the voice port for PLAR the 7960 rings when I lift hte handset. As in the origional thread I get no dial tone nor does a debug show input from digit key presses. Have tested this with 2 known working phones.

The clock solution sounds as if it might work but dosent seem to be supported in the version of code I am using - IOS (tm) 920 Software (UBR920-K8O3V6Y5-M), Version 12.2(19c)

Any ideas? Any help would most greatfully recieved

Tony

OK I found it. Actual command is 'cable-modem voip clock-internal'. It is under the cable0 iinterface and is also a hidden command.

Its working fine now

Views
Helpful
Replies