Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with the bandwidth of voip with gatekeeper

j_rios
Level 1
Level 1

Good afternoon

The doubt that I have is on the use of the bandwidth by the calls of voip.

The topology the network that we have implemented is in star With router central 3660 IOS (c3660-jsx-mz_122-7b.bin) and the localities with Cisco 2610 (c2600-is-mz.121-7.bin)

For the control of the wire using Gateekeper in router Cisco 3660 and router 2610 they estan working with gateway.

In the configuration using methods of compression for the calls, according to I have understood would have to be 12Kbps by call but when control the process of the call by means of the following commando sh gateekeper call I obtain this data.

Elecentro_Sede#sh gatek call

Total number of active calls = 1.

GATEKEEPER CALL INFO

====================

LocalCallID Age(secs) BW

1054-0 2 64(Kbps)

Endpt(s): Alias E.164Addr CallSignalAddr Port RASSignalAddr Port

src EP: O.C_Maracay_ 54011002 10.2.1.1 1720 10.2.1.1 55611

dst EP: O.C_El_Limon 54051001 10.2.3.1 1720 10.2.3.1 50371

it indicates that my call to me this using 64(Kbps) like wide, if this is truth, I am using all bandwidth available, and this consuming almost 4 the bandwidth amount of understood.

My question is the following one. The information which I am having with this commando is real or is a problem with the software of router, of being this information is correct since it could do so that bandwidth used by call it diminishes to the values standard by consumption of calls of the bandwidth

3 Replies 3

m.singer
Level 4
Level 4

I would want you to check this table for the bandwidth consumption of various codec and compression techniques that you are using.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/788/pkt-voice-general/bwidth_consume.html

If it is different from what is documented, then it could possibly a bug.

alan.weadick
Level 1
Level 1

Gatekeepers assume that all calls are 64kbps regardless of the codecs used.

When you place a call through the gatekeeper, it deducts 64k from the amount of bandwidth available until the call is finished. So, if you want to use 4 g729 calls over the wan, the gatekeeper needs to be configured for 256kbps - even though the calls will use around 46kbps.

The actual bandwidth configured on the gatekeeps has nothing to do with the actual call size - its just a cac mechanism...

hope this clears it up for you...

Alan

I do not understand 46Kbps are by the 4 calls or each one of the calls. the used total bandwidth is 46Kbps or 46Kbps x 4 ?..............

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: