Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch 3560 Voice Vlan

INFOTEP_OFN
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have a small doubt regarding the Switch for Voip Configuration, I always setup the voice vlans and Switch 2960 and 2950, but now I'm working with 3560 series switch and I found for add port to the Voice Vlans all the ports has to be Switchport Mode Trunk and Switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q. Why on this particular switch this type of configuration is need it.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Ray Watkins
Level 1
Level 1

What version of IOS? Sounds like it needs an upgraded version.

switchport access vlan xx

switchport voice vlan xx

The Switch has the latest IOS but the issue is why the ports has to be Mode trunk for the IP Phone Works?

Are they Cisco IP phones? I don't think the switchport voice/access commands work with third party phones.

For Cisco IP Phones, you will not need to use the 'switchport mode trunk' command.  You should be able to use the standard voice vlans.  If this is a thrid party phone, you may need to configure the switchport as a 802.1q trunk.

--Matt

ciscomattv
Level 1
Level 1

Trunk mode issue is due to the fact that these ports accept tagged info from IP phones apart from untagged from PC, prior to this version we can configure it in access mode, to be very specific the same is in “a quasi access” state to engage both types of packets.

Encapsulation has to be specified because these switches support both ISL and IEEE standards, hence to avoid conflict explicit configuration commands as to be included between these standards 

Hope this will settle things...........

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: