Views
Helpful
Replies

Tandberg MXP 990- Number2 field asked for 128kbps calls

Saleem_Cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Have a query. In a Tandberg MXP 990, Number2 field pops up while making 128kbps calls, even though I am enabling only 1 BRI line. MXP admin guide states to ignore this field & to click OK & continue. But my query is why does it pop up only for 128kbps calls? It does not ask for 64kbps calls. And it does not ask for calls above 128kbps (say 256k) while enabling 2 or more BRI lines.

Attaching the MXP admin guide i referred to.

Thanks,

Saleem

6 Replies 6

Teck Chye Tang
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Saleem,

1 BRI line consist of 2x64 channel.  Each channel should have a number.

Under your ISDN line 1 settings, did you key in the number for both number 1 and number 2?

If you have not done so, you should key in the number in number 2 also.

For most cases (bonding), the number 1 and number 2 are the same numbers.

Regards,

Thanks Teck,

Even I was suspecting the same- channel bonding. Just wanted a second opinion.

"Under your ISDN line 1 settings, did you key in the number for both number 1 and number 2?

If you have not done so, you should key in the number in number 2 also."

Will check with client and get back. So you mean to say if both the number 1 & number 2 values are same for ISDN line 1, the number 2 field will no longer pop up?

There is no business impact. Just that any user new to video conference might get confused about this option & have to call the network admin ( But it should be rare as the client has 4 bonded bri lines & probability of 3 lines failing and hence making a 128kbps call is remote).

Regards,

Saleem

1 BRI line consist of 2x64 channel.  Each channel should have a number.

That is incorrect. Most BRI services have a single number, or are part of an hunt-group (CGN).

Guess that might vary from country to country, when we used BRI all of ours had a separate number for each channel, which meant we had 6 different numbers for a 384kbps connection using 3x2x64 BRI.

Got rid of them all a while back now i favour of IP and also Gateways using PRI.

/jens

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

You can have tyèically have two numbers per BRI service, but numbers are not tied to a specific B channel. To prove that call one number first and keep it busy. Then call it again, the 2nd calls will hunt to the other channel.

Specific number can instead be tied to analog parts on an NT1 adapter, or devices on S-bus, etc.

Thank You all for the replies.

Client hasn't yet come back with a reply. Anyways as it is not busniness impacting, they may not follow it up further.

So it seems that a single BRI line may have

1) same number for both channels

2) two different numbers, one per channel.

On page 201 of the MXP guide i attached originally... under 'Setting up a Call' , point 5 says to ignore number 2 field for specifically 128kbps calls that use bonding. Question is, is this for both of the above mentioned scenarios?

Regards,

Saleem