Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

VCS Control vs MCU

I'm trying to understand the difference between the VCS Control and the MCU. It seems they both are used to for mult-party video calls. Can someone shed some light on this? Thanks

4 REPLIES

VCS Control vs MCU

Think of VCS-C as a H.323 Gatekeeper and SIP registrar - whereas an MCU is a Multipoint Control Unit also referred to as a "bridge".The MCU is what's used for multi-party video calls.

This ranges from stand-alone units capable of hosting very large multi-party calls, to end-points with "on-board" MCU functionality capable of hosting calls involving on average a maximum of three additional sites.

For an example of a large MCU see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/ps7060/ps11305/ps11317/ps11340/data_sheet_c78-627555.html

The VCS-C is a very powerful tool and apart from being a Gatekeeper/SIP registrar performing call control related "tasks", can also, among other things, translate calls between H.323 and SIP as well as IPv4 and IPv6, and, in combination with a VCS-E, will assist in secure firewall traversal.

For more information re VCS-C see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/ps7060/ps11305/ps11315/ps11337/data_sheet_c78-626491.html

/jens

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

VCS Control vs MCU

Thank you for your quick response!

Other than the secure firewall traversal when teamed up with a VCS-E, a VCS-C sounds like it does the job of a Call Manager. I think all video endpoints can register to a CM, and a MCU is leveraged when trying to achieve an ad-hoc multi-party video call. So how does a VCS-C and a CM compare?

Re: VCS Control vs MCU

There is much more to the VCS-C than "just" providing secure firewall traversal when teamed with a VCS-E, but yes, the CUCM and VCS are both "call managers" in a way, and they complement each other - and both may be needed - depending on the complexity, and the requirements of your deployment.

I.e. do you need interworking between H.323 and SIP, interworking between IPv4 and IPv6, Lync support, support for older video end-points, provisioning of JabberVideo aka Movi etc - in which case you'll need that VCS.

Also remember a VCS-C/VCS-E combo does not only provide secure firewall traversal between your organisation and another with a similar set-up, but it also enables secure firewall traversal for external, stand-alone H.460.18/19 compliant end-points (including nat'ed) - and will do the same for old, non-compliant end-points by allowing these old systems to register with the VCS-E - as long as they have a public, non-nated address - and of course depending on whether or not you allow this registration.

As far as MCU calls are concerned, again, depends on your requirements, but the VCS can be configured to use Multiway, depending on type of MCU deployed, which will allow end-points and JabberVideo users for that matter, to escalate a point-point call to a multipoint call.

CUCM and VCS are moving towards each other, and they may eventually turn into the one product one day, but until then you might very well need both.

Also be aware Cisco has implemented native support for Lync 2013 in TC6.2 using H.264 SVC, however, you'll need VCS x8.0 for this to work - which is due out shortly.

You might also want take a look at this:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3534292#3534292

Best thing to do is for people to talk to their Cisco rep to discuss their deployment requirements.

/jens

VCS Control vs MCU

Hi Jens,

Please Can you tell me If I propose a solution to a client, I need MCU or VCS ? I mean on which basis you choose VCS and MCU, they both are different hardware device right ?

Views
Helpful
Replies