cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Voice over IP

cisco.learner
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have PIX501. Can it voice over IP? Please show how.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I beg to differ. You CAN connect an IP Phone and/or a computer running a softphone to one of the ports on the PIX501. As long as the PIX is able to assign an IP address to whatever device is connect to it and specify the TFTP servers IP address and it can reach the CallManager server. This could be via VPN, leased line or whatever.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to rate all replies

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

the PIX501 can only pass voip traffic (as any other traffic), but you can not attach a VoIP phone.

Hope this helps

Martin

Hi, I mean software IP phone, sorry to my bad english.

I beg to differ. You CAN connect an IP Phone and/or a computer running a softphone to one of the ports on the PIX501. As long as the PIX is able to assign an IP address to whatever device is connect to it and specify the TFTP servers IP address and it can reach the CallManager server. This could be via VPN, leased line or whatever.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to rate all replies

Hi,

I agree I was not clear enough. There is no CallManager Express or Voice Gateway functionality on the PIX501. You can of course connect any device with a standard ethernet interface to it, but that doesn´t make the PIX501 aware of voip.

It will only provide basic IP connectivity (and security).

VoIP signaling has to be supported by whatever other device. In this sense I meant "connecting a telephone to the PIX" would not be supported.

Hope this helps

Martin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: