Views
Helpful
Replies

VoIP Echo

capajaron
Level 1
Level 1

Hi:

I have a concern about our VoIP network,were using CISCO-3560 PoE Switches.

Its been a while that we are experiencing VoIP echoes on our calls, we are using AVAYA IP phones aroung 100 IP phones and our hosts and servers are all in VLAN 1.

*What are causes of IP Phone echoes?

*What configurations for the PoE switches should be set in order to eliminate this or if not minimize it?

Really need help,Please.

Thanks

Cliff

2 Replies 2

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Cliff

Basically the VoIP part of the network is virtually never the SOURCE of the echo.... It can however make echo seem worse.

Echo is normally sourced on analogue parts of the network (i.e. from the handset - speakerphones or headsets, from analogue circuits somewhere etc).

The IP section of the network adds delay which makes the echo more apparent (this is unavoidable). The Avaya kit should have echo-suppression technology as Cisco does...

I would not be looking at the switch configuration or PoE config for this - problems with PoE = dead handsets, problems with traffic through the switch = audio dropouts.... echo would not be a result.

You need to have your telephony guys look at their kit and setup.

See this link for more info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk701/technologies_white_paper09186a00800d6b68.shtml#wp1054995

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

hi:

thanks for the reply,it really help me a lot,but i wanna ask a question.

Can I monitor the Voice data through my PoE switch? Like for example the integrity of the signal,interruption, etc. just to monitor the voice data operation.

thanks

cliff

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: