Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

VoIP with Switch 3750

Hi,

I have a doubt. The company wants to implement VoIP, but the core switches are Cisco 3750. Is it possible to implement it with these switches?.

Any experience in this task will be appreciate it.

Thanks

Wladimir

3 REPLIES

Re: VoIP with Switch 3750

Hi,

The 3750 Catalyst are QoS capable, so VoIP can be implemented f.e. using "auto qos voip trusted" on respective interfaces to other switches.

For more details have a look at the section "Campus QoS Design" for the Cat 3750 in the "Enterprise QoS Solution Reference Network Design Guide Version 3.3"

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/netsol/ns432/c649/ccmigration_09186a008049b062.pdf

Hope this helps! Please use the rating system.

Regards, Martin

Hi, thanks for your response.

The company wants to implement Vlans to give access to internet for some users. These users are auditors, supliers, etc which need to use just internet and not other resources of the company. For that I need to create Vlans.

They are planing to implement VoIP as well, DO you think these task could be done together?, or one first and then another.

We have 3750 switches as core and 2950 as access.

Wladimir

Well Wladimir,

you could implement it in one step or in several steps. It depends on several parameters I do not know, like time frame, staff, size, maintainance windows, etc.

Be aware that implementing VoIP will most likely require QoS on at least the trunk ports and all ports, where VoIP traffic is passing.

VLAN implementation would be the base for any traffic, So I would make sure to design and implement rapid spanning tree per VLAN first.

Make sure the root bridges are selected carefully. Test failure scenarios.

Increasing the number of VLANs should not pose any problem, so this could be an ongoing process, while you plan your VoIP implementation.

VoIP needs a LOT more than just switch design. Have a look at the VoIP SRND (www.cisco.com/go/srnd). If you have no experience with setting up VoIP get professional help, if your budget allows it. Make sure your staff is properly trained to support the new network.

Just a few recommendations to get you onto the right track - I still might miss some important points, as I do not know your requirements and network in great detail.

Hope this helps nevertheless. Please use the rating system.

Regards, Martin

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content