Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

What is the best way to throttle video traffic without killing it?

I cant seem to find what I am looking for. Assuming you have a 2960 caliber switch that aggregates a bunch of video streaming servers and has an outbound uplink to a 6509, then to the internet... The video may be TCP based to make things interesting. The goal is to limit each connected server to a certain total throughput (at a network level) without having a noticable impact on the video watcher.

I would think that if you just do a rate limit on the ports that connect the video servers then when you drop packets you will have choppy video...and if it is TCP based then you will have TCP sliding window issues too?

I dont know the queueing capabilities of an access switch (2950, 2960, even 3550's), but maybe they can handle traffic shaping and queueing of the video traffic instead of just dropping it? If not, then maybe the 6509 can do a better job at it?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

2 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: What is the best way to throttle video traffic without killi

Silver

Re: What is the best way to throttle video traffic without killi

This guy gave you a bad example. The c2960 switch is nothing like the c2950 or c2955 switch so use the QoS guide for the switch you have, the c2960. The c2960 has a similar chipset to the c3560/c3750...

One question, why do you want to limit the bandwidth?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content