Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Which IOS to use EMI or SMI

Hi all,

I requires ur input/help to select a appropiate IOS for my access layer switch.which will be handeling Voice and Video.(Considering QOS and POE).If possible please refer some links.

Many Thanks,

Raj

2 REPLIES

Re: Which IOS to use EMI or SMI

Raj,

Take a look at the following link. You might want to consider the Enhanced Image for its policing, marking, classification and DSCP mapping capabilities. This will be very important if you have endpoints that do not mark voice/video traffic with the correct QoS markings as that function will then be moved to the switch.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/prod_bulletin09186a00800b3089.html

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

Super Bronze

Re: Which IOS to use EMI or SMI

Hi

Depends what switch you're talking about - if 2950s, see the post from Brandon.

If 3750s or 3550/60s, then it probably doesn't matter. Both have the same QoS/PoE support, just different dynamic routing capabilities (i.e. BGP/OSPF/EIGRP support - Standard just uses static and RIP routing) and a few other features.

If you're just using them as L2 access switches SMI will do. It's also upgradeable for a license fee (it's the same hardware).

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts.

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!
Views
Helpful
Replies