Views
Helpful
Replies

CALL_CONTROL-6-MAX_CONNECTIONS and off-ramp faxing

jalsovszky
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

we run into a problem with off-ramp fax sending on as5350.

Details:

IOS: 12.2(15)T9

In logs:

Feb 11 02:30:13: %CALL_CONTROL-6-MAX_CONNECTIONS: Maximum number of

connections reached for dial-peer 77667702

Feb 11 02:37:06: //243720/ccDumpCallTrace:

Feb 11 02:37:06: //-1/ccDumpCallTrace:

Feb 11 02:37:06: //-1/ccDumpCallTrace: CallID not Found

Feb 11 02:37:18: %CALL_CONTROL-6-MAX_CONNECTIONS: Maximum number of

connections reached for dial-peer 77667702

We used 50 channels on that gateway for off-ramp fax sending. It works well till some time (we can send concurrently 50 faxes without problems). But after that (we wasn't able to recognize when) we can only use only 30 channels. Tryes above 30 channels

(remaining 20) are dropped immediately. In RADIUS logs I see: disconnect-cause=1.

Cisco says, that we reached the maximum number of connections on that dial-peers while we have configured 60 channels (max-conn) and there were no other calls (so practically only fax calls were on those dial-peers).

It seems to be a bug in IOS with freeing dial-peer counters or such (I'm lay in the Cisco gateway internal backgrounds).

Can anybody say if it is a known bug (maybe a bug ID?) - I didn't find it on the web - or if there is a workaround, new IOS for this?

Unfortunately I have only very limited access to that gateway (more precisely don't have access but can ask someone who have access) - so debugging is not easy.

Does anybody have an advice?

Thanks in advance,

Thomas

6 Replies 6

Chester Rieman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It's not a bug, this is working as designed.

Here is the error definition:

%CALL_CONTROL-6-MAX_CONNECTIONS : Maximum number of connections reached for dial-peer [dec]\n

Explanation The dial peer in question has reached its maximum number of configured connections. No more calls will be taken on this dial peer.

Recommended Action No action is required; however, to increase the number of connections allowed to this dial peer, you can adjust the maximum connections configuration setting while in dial-peer configuration mode.

and here is the command to adjust this:

http://cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk701/technologies_white_paper09186a00800da467.shtml#902617

Hope this helps...

I'm fully aware of the reason of %CALL_CONTROL-6-MAX_CONNECTIONS message.

My problem: on dial-peers we have allowed 60 channels. We can place ONLY 30. There are NO other calls in the system. So the gateway faultly says that the maximum number of connections reached - there were no 60 channels.

I don't know how else I could write it. Simply this feature works badly. As I wrote earlier, it works well for some time (we can run 60 channels on it). But after some time, it accepts only 30 channels not more! (while there are NO another calls).

I spent a couple of hours searching for a bug on cisco.com, but I didn't find anything. The only similar bug was: CSCea00427

But there the VoIP peer's connection counter was wrong, and in our case the pots peer reports problems.

Do you need more information?

Thanks...

Each call consists of 2 connections, one RTP stream in each direction. So if you want 60 calls, you need to configure 120 connections, try this and see if you get the calls you need.

As far as I know max-conn does not have any relation with call directions neither call legs. Max-conn defines how many call can be established throught the given dial-peer (e.g. max-conn 30 means, there can be 18 inbound and 12 outbound calls).

As I wrote earlier, I can place 60 channels with max-conn 60 on that router. The problem is, that from one time (I can't define from when) it starts to work incorrectly and the router things that there are 30 connections while there isn't.

As far as I go with this problem, I think it's a bug/caveat in IOS.

Here is the dial-peer which comes wrong:

dial-peer voice 77667702 pots

trunkgroup DEFINITY 1

max-conn 60

destination-pattern 123456.+

direct-inward-dial

prefix 4545

!

trunk group DEFINITY

max-calls voice 60

hunt-scheme sequential both up

!

interface Serial3/0:15

no ip address

isdn switch-type primary-net5

isdn incoming-voice modem

trunk-group DEFINITY 1

no cdp enable

!

interface Serial3/1:15

no ip address

isdn switch-type primary-net5

isdn incoming-voice modem

trunk-group DEFINITY 2

no cdp enable

!

As you can see, the peers are correctly configured. Physically there could be placed 60 calls. It works well for some time...

...and suddenly it accepts only 30 calls while there are no other calls.

ONLY router reload helps. After reload, counters are good again, and I can send 60 calls - unless this problem appears again.

Sure sounds like a problem then. You could turn on some error debugs such as

debug voip ccapi error

debug vtsp error

debug vpm error

these will only produce output if an error occurs. Also try show align after it drops to 30 calls and see if there are any errors there.

I see there are a couple of bugs like this, you may want to just try upgrading IOS since that is probably what you will end up doing anyway to get away from the bug ;)

It looks like, we found the workaround for the given problem. When I turn off max-conn option on out-bound off-ramp pots peer, looks, everything works as it is expected.

I cannot be sure, because we didn't sent enough faxes to see whether the problme is gone or not. Hopefully this is what I searched for.

If the problem came back I would inform the forum about it.

I would like to ask one question:

is this issue reported into the bug-tracking system, if yes, could I get the caveat's number?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Thomas

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: