Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I replace PGW2200 with ITP?

Hi, I need to know can I replace the PGW2200 MGC with ITP? If not, can anyone please give me useful Cisco integration document links? I found some documents but things are not so clear, what are the limitations of ITP...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No there is no other Cisco solution. I still don't understand why you want to remove the PGW 9.6.1.

It is not EOL any time soon. There are new features on 9.7.3 but these mainly apply to SIP B2BUA and not to SS7 stacks.

If your hardware needs replacing then you can easily swap out the current Sun boxes with bigger boxes without any lose of service and stay on 9.6.1. And bigger hardware has got very cheap lately.

I fyou have already paid for the PGW 9.6.1 then I would stick with it unless you need greater capacity . In this case upgrade the hardware.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

donaliforb
Level 1
Level 1

It depends on what ITP features you wish to run. If the ITP is simply a M3UA or SUA gateway then there is no need for the PGW. This is very common in the mobile arena. But if the ITP is being run as a traditional STP, forwarding SS7 messages to an SSP (PGW). Or if the the ITP is being used to aggregate SS7 links from an SSP and there are real voice ports on a MGCP controlled gateway then a PGW is required.

The ITP has no ability to control voice ports on a gateway and nether does it understand the encapsulated SS7 messaging and it many variants. Think of it more as a STP on steroids.

Can you give some more details of the features you require? If only basic SS7 links are required and no STP / M3UA / SUA / IN integration then an SLT or the integrated SLT (ISLT) in a AS5400/AS5350/MGX is a far cheaper option. ITP licenses are upwards of 50K GPL each.

Hi, thanks!

I am already using PGW2200 MGC v9.6, actually we're running a IPCC Enterprise Solution, we have two PGW with separate redundant PC integrated with two MSC Media Gateway(APC) and MSC (DPC), also have two SLT in redundant fashion, and the AS5350XM as the voice gateway.

Now the MGC v9.6 is at often EoL and during migration period we are thinking for something else except PGW and so found ITP and also BTS10200. So trying to know whether we can replace our PGW with ITP or not. Hope this will clear things to help me. :)

Hi Bilashece

The PGW 9.6(1) is far from EoL. It might be approaching End of Sale, but it will be supported for a long time to come. Probably as long as Sun still support Solaris 8. Migrating to 9.7 or > will probably be a huge expense due to the new licensing model anyway.

Your only option in your case is to merge the two SLTs into one ITP but in reality this will only give reduced redundancy and at a very great licensing expense. You say that you have two redundant PGWs each with own Point Codes (PC). This could be streamlined into one PGW pair with the two point codes on the one PGW -pair.

Hope this helps

Donal

www.iforb.com PGW and BTS VoIP networking

Can't I avoid PGW? Coz, this product is end of life very soon you told that already and we are also planning to avoid upgrading to 9.7 as it will new sun boxes as well as those licensing expenses.

Is there any other ss7 solution from Cisco can be replaced with?

No there is no other Cisco solution. I still don't understand why you want to remove the PGW 9.6.1.

It is not EOL any time soon. There are new features on 9.7.3 but these mainly apply to SIP B2BUA and not to SS7 stacks.

If your hardware needs replacing then you can easily swap out the current Sun boxes with bigger boxes without any lose of service and stay on 9.6.1. And bigger hardware has got very cheap lately.

I fyou have already paid for the PGW 9.6.1 then I would stick with it unless you need greater capacity . In this case upgrade the hardware.

Thank u very much for you correct guidance and advice.

Just an FYI:

Last date to receive support for PGW 9.6(1) is October 29, 2011.

Reference...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6788/vcallcon/ps2027/end_of_life_notice_c51-470311.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: