Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco to Nortel channels issues with E1

kobyb
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a weird problem that i hope someone can help me solve it.

I have a Cisco 5300 connected to a Nortel DMS 300 Family Internation switch with 2 E1s.

The cisco is the Network side.

The traffic is flowing from the Nortel to the Cisco.

The controllers are clean from errors and overall traffic is connected very well, excellent quality with no issues.

Although, there are some weird things going and it seems like the channels state is not sychronized between the Cisco and the Nortel.

1. If from the Nortel side we'll set a specific channel to be Out-Of-Service (OOS) the Cisco keeps seeing the same channel as Idle. the same The same exact results happen when we do it from the Cisco side, the Nortel won't see the channel is OOS.

2. The Nortel randomly shows few channels as locked-out state and at the same time the Cisco show those channels as Idle.

The Cisco configuration is as follow:

controller E1 0

framing NO-CRC4

clock source line primary

pri-group timeslots 1-31

!

interface Serial0:15

no ip address

encapsulation hdlc

isdn switch-type primary-net5

isdn protocol-emulate network

isdn incoming-voice modem

no fair-queue

no cdp enable

Any ideas??

Thanks,

Koby

4 Replies 4

Just a question. If the Cisco is the network side Why don't use "clock source internal"?

Try to use "isdn negotiate-bchan":

interface Serial1/1:15

no ip address

encapsulation hdlc

no logging event link-status

no snmp trap link-status

isdn switch-type primary-net5

isdn overlap-receiving T302 3000

isdn protocol-emulate network

isdn incoming-voice voice

isdn map address transparent

isdn send-alerting

isdn negotiate-bchan

isdn sending-complete

no isdn outgoing display-ie

no cdp enable

And check commands "network-clock-participate" and "network-clock-select".

Regards.

Daniele,

Thank you for your reply.

I made the adjustments you suggested and it didn't help. The Nortel side kept showing Locked Channels.

Then we set the Nortel to be the Network side and the Cisco to be the User and adjusted the "clock source line" command of course.

Not sure if it related or not, but the general clock of the GW was way off. we adjusted it with NTP.

after that we had one more reset for both E1s and since then (about 5 days) we don't see the locked channels.

I hope it will stay like that.

Cheers,

Koby

NTP clock (system calendar clock) has nothing to do with E1 physical clock (network-clock).

But if it does good for you, nothing to debate.

Yeah, I know the NTP has nothing to do with it. Just weird that since then all got cleared.

I hope it will stay this way.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: