cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do I need a PVDM for my 2801 Router?

umbernaut
Level 1
Level 1

I have an existing HP Procurve network. We recently acquired a branch off that has a 2801 and a VWIC2 T1 module. The HP routers only need a T1 card. Our PBX is at the main office and rides on its on VLAN. Do I need a PVDM card in the 2801 at this new office to carry that same voice data or will it work fine as it it?

2 Replies 2

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You'll only need PVDMs if you'll be transcoding between digital and analog on the router itself (e.g. jumping out to the PSTN or voice mail is on the router).

Hope that helps.

If you are configuring a PRI/CAS circuit between the gateway and the PBX, you need DSPs.

If the PBX just needs a data T1 to send it's VoIP over, then you don't need DSPs.

The question is - will you be CREATING RTP packets on your router. If your router is responsible for actually creating RTP packets, you need DSPs.

If the PBX is creating the RTP and sending to this router with a data connection, you do not need DSPs.

hth,

nick

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: