Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From Covad to Call Manager

I have a customer that is currently on Covad service using 7940 and 7960 phones. Due to Covads numerous outages we have been engaged to install an inhouse call manager solution. The problem is getting the Covad MGCP phones to come back up on Call Manager. I have wiped the config, the phone is built in Call Manager, the phones get IP, TFTP, Gateway, etc. from Call Manager serving up DHCP. The voice vlan on the phone is correct. The phone still only gets to a state resembling a Covad MGCP phantom phone with no DN or any other functionality. We will be cutting this system over on November 3rd so obviously I need to fix this ASAP.

Thanks

3 REPLIES

Re: From Covad to Call Manager

It seems like the phones ran MGCP firmware in the Covad enviroment. They need to be SCCP for Callmanager.

Here is a document that shows a firmware upgrade matrix for changing firmware protocol types. Just check the MGCP version on the phones and the default firmware version that the CallManager is set to run and you should be good.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps4967/products_upgrade_guides09186a008022a968.html#wp1053736

Thanks man.

I have been periodicaly switching MGCP and SIP loads, as we are both Covad partners and Ciscoo IPT certified.

The easiest way we found to upgrade the MGCP load to SCCP is:

1. Upgrade the current Covad load (should be 6.2) to MGCP 7.5. Refer to the document Justin has pointed; basically you have to unpack a zip file in a tftp directory and set DHCP to the proper server.

2. Then just install the upgraded phone in the proper VLAN. MGCP V7.5 supports the Universal Application Loader and it gets the right SCCP load from CallManager.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content