cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with Cisco IP Phone

jtran
Level 1
Level 1

I am deploying the Cisco IP Phone which some people call it softphone. I am trying to set up this software on the CEO home PC through VPN. The software I am using is call Cisco IP Communicator v 2.1.2.0. When I configure the Cisco IP Communicator software and run it, the application just hang at "Configuring IP". Am I missing something or need to configure something on the ASA firewall? I am able to ping the call manager server so I am lost as to what I should do.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like your DHCP discover messages aren't reaching to the DHCP server. Wish I could help more but I don't know much about VPN/Firewall.

joel.balfour
Level 1
Level 1

Hey;

Its ok to ping the CM but if you are blocking the voice traffc (ports) from gonig through then that is what going to happen.

Cisco Unified Personal Communicator expects inbound and outbound traffic to occur on certain ports through certain protocols.

Cisco Unified Personal Communicator lets the operating system pick a random port for the origination for every type of traffic except for these cases:

•For Session Initiation Protocol (SIP), SIP Instant Messaging and Presence Leveraging Extensions (SIMPLE), the OS uses a port in the range of 50000 to 50063. The client originates traffic from these ports and also connects to the Cisco Unified Communications Manager server and the Cisco Unified Presence server on these ports.

•For Real-Time Transport Protocol (RTP), Cisco Unified Personal Communicator selects its own port for sending and receiving. It uses port 16384 as the base port for the initial stream and uses higher port numbers for additional RTP and RTCP streams. For a given stream, the same port in the range is always used for transmission and reception.

Network Ports for Inbound Traffic

The application monitors these network ports for inbound traffic:

•50000 to 50063 for SIP

50000 through 50063 to permit TCP or UDP traffic directed at the client computer

If you configure Cisco Unified Personal Communicator to use TCP or UDP when making SIMPLE connections to Cisco Unified Presence, the server responds by using the same protocol. You configure these settings in Cisco Unified Presence Administration (choose Application > Unified Personal Communicator > Proxy Profile).

•16384 to 16424 for RTP (audio and video) and for TFTP

Network Ports for Outbound Traffic

The application connects to these network ports for outbound traffic:

•69 for TFTP

•80 for HTTP connections with Cisco Unified MeetingPlace Express and Cisco Unified MeetingPlace servers

•143, 993, and 7993 for Internet Mail Access Protocol (IMAP) connections with Cisco Unity Connection and Cisco Unity (with Microsoft Exchange) servers

•389 for TCP connections with Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP)

•443 for Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP) over HTTPS for configuration download from the Cisco Unified Presence server

•443 for SOAP over HTTPS connections with Cisco Unified MeetingPlace Express and for HTTPS connections with Cisco Unified MeetingPlace servers

•2748 for TCP connection to the CTI gateway (which is the CTIManager component of Cisco Unified Communications Manager)

•5060 for SIP soft phone registration to Cisco Unified Communications Manager and SIMPLE to Cisco Unified Presence for presence information

•16384 to 16424 for RTP (audio and video) and for TFTP.

Let me know if this helps..

JRB

jbalfour@cngsolutions.com

chrismanuh
Level 1
Level 1

Try this:

1. discover the IP address of your callmanager server by pinging it from the IP communicator hosting machine.

2. on the IP phone, click settings button, and select Device configuration option. verify that the active callmanager's ip is the same as the one you have in step 1. if not, right click anywhere on the softphone and choose Preferences. Switch to the Network tab. under TFTP servers, select "use these TFTP servers" option and enter the ip address of your callmanager. click okay to save the settings.

3. from your callmanager admin interface, verify that your softphone is registered in the device section. if not, add it.

reboot the phone and it should be good to go.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: