cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to H.323 video between to overlapping private networks.

jkittle99
Level 4
Level 4

Here's the scenario - I have two enterprise networks that have overlapping private IP networks. The requirement is to allow video endpoints at each enterprise to be able to connect to video endpoints at the other. Now clearly, with the issues of H.323 and NAT, a simple double-nat solution won't suffice. I need to have total network transparency (no routes between private networks -- since they overlap) and a solution with either some sort of h.323 to h.323 gateway or proxy in the middle is probably what I need. Today there are no gatekeepers in the enterprise, as they've never been required - I'm not sure how to go about doing this. The technologies that have crossed my mind are clearly IP to IP Gateway, H.323 Proxy, etc -- but I can't get my arms around this quite yet. Has anybody done this, and if so - how? Security is a huge concern - there's no way I can "connect" these two networks so that endpoints can communicate natively with eachother - I have to have some sort of system in the middle, but trying to figure out what I need.

Today - all the dialing is IP based, no E.164 going on -- but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

dgahm
Level 8
Level 8

NAT with ALG can translate the embedded addresses in H225/H245.

Cisco IOS NAT Application Layer Gateways

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_white_paper09186a00801af2b9.shtml

The ip inspect feature in PIX and ASA firewalls can also do this, though I have been struggling with an ASA5520 and H245.

Please rate helpful posts.

So you're going to rely on E.164 addresses for dialing, I'm assuming? Do you need gatekeeper functionality to do this, or can you do it without?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: