Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

LWAPP, thanks very much!

1.The centralized intelligence of the WLAN controller is because of the protocol LWAPP, right?

2.I was wondering what is the difference of the LWAPP, and traditional access point transmission protocol (is there any protocol like APP)?

3.I know the feature of LWAPP is just like the same, each time, it transmits small part of data. And then what is the advantage for this?

4.It is said LWAPP could improve the security. But how?

Thanks very much!

• Voice over IP
3 REPLIES
Silver

Re: LWAPP, thanks very much!

In LWAPP the Light weight access points are controlled by the controllers ,but in autonomous mode the configuration is loaded in the access point itself.

LWAPP standardizes the communications protocol

between access points and WLAN systems (controllers, switches, routers, and so on.). Uses a

split MAC design. This allows the splitting of 802.11 protocols between the Cisco Aironet

Lightweight access point which handles real-time portions of the protocol and the WLAN

controller which handles those items which are not time sensitive.is not a concern, and controller-wide visibility is required.

The LWAPP is used to encrypt and secure control traffic between the access point and

controller. UDP control messages are encrypted with an X.509 certificate using Advanced

Encryption Standard (AES) encryption algorithm using Counter Mode with Cipher Block

Chaining Message Authentication Code Protocol (CCMP). Data traffic is not encrypted in

LWAPP.

Hi,

thanks for your answer very much.

Now I know, LWAPP access point manages the real time function,and others are handled by controller.

But why this could make the WLAN system more secured than the tradtional one. BTW,how is the tradional one secured?

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.