cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nailed PGW solution - RLM/NFAS question

tominatornz
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question about NFAS groups and RLM groups.

We run a PGW (9.4.1) in nailed mode.

We connect via SS7 to Telco_X through 2 Signaling Points (DPC's), via a single AS5400.

Consider an E1 from each SP, carrying the same type of type traffic (determined by digit string).

All traffic prefixed with 123 is to terminate via these E1's.

I think I have 2 options for the AS5400 configuration, diagrams outlining each option are attached...

Option 1

trunk group Service_A

!

controller E1 6/0

pri-group timeslots 1-31 nfas_d primary nfas_int 0 nfas_group 0 rlm-group 0

description Switch A - cic's 1 <->31

!

controller E1 6/1

pri-group timeslots 1-31 nfas_d none nfas_int 1 nfas_group 0

description Switch B - cic's 1 <->31

!

interface Dchannel6/0

trunk-group Service_A

!

rlm group 0

server PGW-A

link address x.x.x.x source GigabitEthernet0/0.1 weight 2

link address x.x.x.x source GigabitEthernet0/0.1 weight 1

!

dial-peer voice123 pots

trunkgroup Service_A

destination-pattern123.%

Will the above approach work, or will I need a separate RLM/NFAS group for each switch (DPC), I connect to... as shown below

i.e; Option 2

trunk group Service_A

!

controller E1 6/0

pri-group timeslots 1-31 nfas_d primary nfas_int 0 nfas_group 0 rlm-group 0

description Switch A - cic's 1 <->31

!

controller E1 6/1

pri-group timeslots 1-31 nfas_d primary nfas_int 1 nfas_group 1 rlm-group 1

description Switch B - cic's 1 <->31

!

interface Dchannel6/0

trunk-group Service_A

!

interface Dchannel6/1

trunk-group Service_A

!

rlm group 0

server PGW-A

!

rlm group 1

protocol rlm port 3002

server PGW-A

!

dial-peer voice123 pots

trunkgroup Service_A

destination-pattern123.%

I am figuring that the 1st option will work, as the PGW can determine the relationship between the source and destination signaling services and span/timeslots through the nailed trunk provisioning (trunk.dat file)

If I then add 2 more E1's to each switch, and then route calls prefixed with 123 to cic's 1-31, calls with 246 to cics 33-63, and calls with 357 to cics 65-95, I will require a separate RLM/NFAS group for each terminating prefix.

If the second option above is correct, I am going to need 6 RLM groups on the GW. The PGW/GW spec's say that 8 are supported, however, I have read that in practice, you really dont want to go past 5. I believe this was due to an IOS limitation.

Any pointers as to whether "option 1" will fly are greatly appreciated.

5 Replies 5

anikas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Option one will not work. Only the first E1 will work. If you have only 1 RLM group you only have 1 D-Channel between the PGW and that gateway.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Thanks,

It looks like I am going to need 6, possibly 7 RLM Groups on the GW.

Can you tell me whether the operational limit of 5 RLM's per GW still exists. I have this info from a training course I did 3 years ago, so it may now not be a problem. It is in the documentation I have from the "Building Cisco SS7 Interconnect & VOIP Networks for Voice and Dial Traffic" course.

If you are running a 9.X release of PGW you can run 8 RLM groups. Again you only need one RLM group per DPC that is connecting to this gateway. If you need 7 as you say that mean that you have 7 DPCs connecting their E1/T1s to the same gateway.

Andreas

I may be missing something very basic here, but I am still struggling to see how I can route various digit strings at specific E1's.

eg;

service_a

dest-patt 123.......goes to cic's 01-31 at both SSP's

service_b

dest-patt 246.......goes to cic's 33-63 at both SSP's

service_c

dest-patt 357.......goes to cic's 65-95 at both SSP's

In the past I have created a trunk group for each service type, and then a separate RLM/NFAS group for each, and then associated the dchannel created for each nfas group with the required trunk-group. The pots dial-peer then matches the specific digit strings to the trunk-group.

How can I achieve the same result with only 1 RLM group per DPC?

anikas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sorry, I forgot to respond to the second part of your question.

If you add more E1s to the same switch (SSP/DPC) then you have no need of adding additional RLM groups as you already have the D-channel for those 2 SSPs. If however you plan on going to additional SSPs and want their E1s to terminate on this same gateway only then would you need to add addition RLM groups.

Regards

Andreas

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: