Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Need help on SIP configuration

hi guys

i m a starter with the SIP technology ,i m planning to use SIP as session protocol instead of cisco properitry.can anyone pls tell me do i need to configure a SIP proxy or anything that kind to use this.

i have total 6 locations and i want all the 6 locations to communicate between each other.so i planned for SIP in this scenario.this is a IP based network

all u r comments r welcome

regds

prem

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Silver

Re: Need help on SIP configuration

Prem

If you set it to cisco which is the default then it will use h323, and you are right it is the equivalent of not configuring anything in the session protocol section.

You do not need a proxy in your network for H323. The dialplan can be managed in the router using dial peers.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Taimoor

6 REPLIES

hello

please privide more detail information such as hardware configruation .Gernerally speaking,you need at lease a proxy server (redirect server) and some sip clent .If you need help ,please contact with me.

hi

pls go thru the details of the H/W ,IOS ver and about the interface

System image file is "flash:c1700-sv8y-mz.122-8.T1.bin"

cisco 1751 (MPC860P) processor (revision 0x200) with 55706K/9830K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID JAD06200B7K (241514676), with hardware revision 0000

MPC860P processor: part number 5, mask 2

Bridging software.

X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.

1 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

2 Serial(sync/async) network interface(s)

2 Voice FXS interface(s)

my doubt is shall i give this command Router(config-dial-peer)# session protocol {cisco | sipv2} and go ahead with the config or do i need to configure the SIP proxy server.??

if i use session protocol as Cisco it will take as H.323 is it equivalent to not putting this entry since its going to take h.323 only as its default ..

regds

prem

Silver

You will have to put session protocol sipv2 regardless and then point all your dial peers to the sip proxy server. The Sip proxy server will have a centralized dialplan, that you will have to configure statically, if you are using gateways in your network. you can use the tgrep feature in cisco gateways to get them to register, so they inform the proxy server themselves, about the prefixes they handle.

You will need a proxy or a redirect server, cisco also provides one and helps to create and end to end cisco solution which is easy to troubleshoot.

Hope this helps.

hi

this clears me that i shuld config a sip proxy or redirect server to use SIP as the session protocol in my N/W..

theres one more option set if u need to set session protocol either as SipV2 or Cisco ..

If we set this session protocol as cisco do i need to configure some kind of proxy as we do for sip or just need to mention on the dial peer ??

if we use cisco as the session protocol then it will use H.323 protocol as the session protocol am i right ???

defining session protocol as Cisco is same as of not configuring the same since its VOIP takes H.323 as its default for establishing the trans and recieve chanel ..

pls do clear these points as welll ...

regds

prem

Silver

Prem

If you set it to cisco which is the default then it will use h323, and you are right it is the equivalent of not configuring anything in the session protocol section.

You do not need a proxy in your network for H323. The dialplan can be managed in the router using dial peers.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Taimoor

hi all

i m clear about SIP config and H.323 now ,thks everyone for putting u r inputs ...

regds

prem

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content