Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Questions for Integration

Hello,

Our VoIP Architect recently left the company as well as his knowledge and I'm just a data guy :-(. We are preparing to perform an integration for a new acquisition and out-sourcing was not considered prior to his leaving, plus funds may not be available to outsource. We will not be integrating there PBX into the infrastructure as we will be providing them IPT services.

My question to the forum is: what questions should we be asking to perform the integration with regards to VoIP.

1) What type of dial plan do they have

2) They will want to keep there DID so a port is needed with local PRI

3) I believe long distance will be provided through corporate

4) Do they have a night attendant

Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks

Anthony

2 REPLIES

Re: Questions for Integration

Hello Anthony,

So you have the honor to learn VoIP on the fast track!? Well then let´s see the options.

First your questions are not bad, but only a small portion of the whole picture. The underlying question is: What functionality does telephony offer them now?The second question will be what are you able to reproduce with voip, what will be missing and what will be added.

About a few parts of functionality now:

- Availability (power, network, fallback scenario,...)

- Dial plan

- Voice mail

- call waiting/redirect/conference/...

- secretary function (rings ith boss phone)

- etc.

Now this is a lot of stuff to think about. So you can take everything at CCO that a search for "SRND voice" delivers you. SRND = Solution Reference Network Design, this is what you are asking for.

And doing this will show you that there is a lot more to tell than I could possibly write in a single post.

Another starting point would be "CISCO IP TELEPHONY SOLUTION" http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns340/ns394/ns165/ns268/networking_solutions_package.html

Being a Global Knowledge Technical Instructor I would also like to point you to our Web page, where you can find the officil Cisco classes about IPT:

http://www.globalknowledge.com/training/category.asp?pageid=9&methodid=c&catid=206&country=United+States&translation=English

When you are interested in design then you could start with "IPTD (IP Telephony Design)"

http://www.globalknowledge.com/training/course.asp?pageid=9&courseid=9124&catid=206&methodid=c&country=United+States&translation=English

The other classes are more technology oriented and provide also hands-on to real euquipment.

Hope this helps! Please rate all helpful posts

Martin

Re: Questions for Integration

Hi Anthony,

Those are very good questions to be asking - and a good start as well. And Martin has gotten you pointed in the right direction from a documentation standpoint.

One thing I might add, though. If you are about to migrate, and you don't know much about IPT, and don't have a competent partner engaged, seems to me the project is in serious risk.

Forums like this are great for pointed questions, ie, how do I configure this, or troubleshoot that. But we aren't really in a position to help you plan a deployment outside of very general advice.

Since you mentioned outsourcing is not an option, the best advice I can give you is to contact your local Cisco rep, and get his/her SE to assist you with this deployment from a design and planning standpoint. Cisco, as a company is very concerned that IPT projects go well and if you indicate to your rep your situation and the risks it presents, you should be able to get some valuable help that you need for this project.

Let me know if this helps by rating the post.

Michael

Views
Helpful
Replies