cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP on 7940 with Release 6.0

tijojose
Level 1
Level 1

I have upgarded a 7940 with SIP 7940 Release 6.0 package. However i get a message"Phone Unprovisioned" on the phone. In status messages i get "W210 tftp error: timeout SIPDefault.cnf". what is more weird is the fact that even though i get same error message for SIPxxx.cnf, where x is the mac address. The phone some how takes the phone_label: parameter in that file and show it on display.

I don't use a call manager or other cisco software. I use windows media server 2003 for SIP with some inhouse software. I don't think this might be related. It would be great help if someoe could drop me few hinds to solve the problem. i have checked the configs and haven't found a problem on that. I use solar winds tftp server and the upgrade of the os went without a glitch. i tried another ip phone with same results.

Thanks

Tijo

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pacameron
Level 4
Level 4

The normal boot procedure for the SIP handset is to request the OS79XX.txt file, then the SIPDefault.cnf file, then the SIP.cnf file.

The SIPDefault.cnf file contains generic configuration information that all handsets on the network may use.

Have a look here for more information -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2156/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a0080135269.html#75321

The SIP.cnf file is similar to the SIPDefault.cnf file, but it contains specific information for the particular handset defined by the mac address - generally this is the local numbers the device will register with, SIP proxy server address, authentication passwords etc ...

The idea of the files is to remove the need to do any local configuration using the phone keypad - all the config files are kept on the tftp server and passed out to devices as they request them.

You tftp server does not have the files, so the phone is requesting them anyway and it times out. Refer to the above URL on setting up the config files, otherwise of you are happy manually configuring the handset don't worry about them.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

pacameron
Level 4
Level 4

The normal boot procedure for the SIP handset is to request the OS79XX.txt file, then the SIPDefault.cnf file, then the SIP.cnf file.

The SIPDefault.cnf file contains generic configuration information that all handsets on the network may use.

Have a look here for more information -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2156/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a0080135269.html#75321

The SIP.cnf file is similar to the SIPDefault.cnf file, but it contains specific information for the particular handset defined by the mac address - generally this is the local numbers the device will register with, SIP proxy server address, authentication passwords etc ...

The idea of the files is to remove the need to do any local configuration using the phone keypad - all the config files are kept on the tftp server and passed out to devices as they request them.

You tftp server does not have the files, so the phone is requesting them anyway and it times out. Refer to the above URL on setting up the config files, otherwise of you are happy manually configuring the handset don't worry about them.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: