Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

SS7 Solution, some questions...

Dear Friends

I've found many posts regarding an SS7 solution over IP, but I just want to make 100% sure whether I'm right or not.

I want to achieve an SS7 Over IP solution.

E.G. A telephone company wants to make calls via SS7 and we should convert those calls to IP traffic and send to another provider situated in other country...

To achieve this we will need a Cisco PGW2200 and an AS5x00 (we're planning a 5300)

So as I have understood PGW2200 is a signalling interface for SS7 and it converts to something understandable for AS5300 and AS5300 in it's place converts to IP and sends over the internet?

Am I right?

What exactly does PGW2200 do?

Can't I do the same using only an AS5300 with an appropriate module supporting SS7? or not?

And one more question if the calls are being done from our place then do I need a Gatekeeper or only the receiving point must have a gatekeeper?

Thanks.

1 REPLY

Re: SS7 Solution, some questions...

Hello,

PGW2200 is a "gateway" SS7/IP which terminates ISUP messages. AS5300 is used for voice TDM termination, which is controlled by PGW2200.

MTP2/MTP3 can be translated in ITP box into M2UA/M3UA sigtran messages terminated on PGW.

Thus you build up complete SSP element with appropriate point codes.

Below link describes it in more detail:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/wirelssw/ps1862/products_data_sheet09186a00800925b1.html

Martin

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content