cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

supporting more than 30 channels betwwen a PBX and Router using VWICS

melhajj123
Level 1
Level 1

I have a router connected to my PBX using a VWIC, which only supports 30 channels. i require to support around 100 channels, as most of the other branches are dialing to the HO. Is there some way to bind more than 1 VWIC to increase support for the number of channels?

I would be very grateful if someone could give me a work around.

10 Replies 10

lpezj
Level 7
Level 7

It depends on your router model. Which router are you using?

You, probably, need to add a new VWIC or replace the current VWIC for a VWIC that supoorts two E1s.

You can. too, add a new router to add, for example, 3 E1s, to support the 100 channels with the PBX.

Hope this helps,

Juan Luis

im using a 2691 router. However, i just want to know if the concept of 'bundling' more than one E1 VWIC module so support more than 30 channels, but this should not affect the routing of calls.

You can add more E1s and they will don?t have any bad effect in the routing call process.

Depends on your router configuration how can affect. Ypu have to set up the new E1s on the same way as the first one.

Hope this helps,

Juan Luis

lets say i have 2 e1 VWIC's, e1/0 and e1/1

what do i have to do when incoming calls arrive. how could i send the calls through the pbx, and how would it beable to choose which VWIC to use

Are you using H.323 or MGCP?

Juan Luis

Normally, you could know the VWIC to use, for example, if you are using MGCP, you will have two E1 entries in CallManager.

If call arrives for E1/0, you will have to map in CallManager a DN, and if call arrives for E1/1 ypu will have a different DN, if you would like to differnciate both E1s, if not, you could use the same DN.

In order to send calls to the PBX, you will have to set up Route Patterns, Route Lists and Route Groups in CallManager to allow a call to go to the PBS. With the Route Froup and Route Lists you can select wich E1 to use to send the call.

If you use H.323 in the rouetr you will need extra work, setting up dial-peers to select the appropiate DN in CallManager and select the more suitable E1 controller to send calls to the PBX.

Hope this helps,

Juan Luis

i am not using any call managers. im using basic voip dial-peers and dial-pots, with gatekeeper gateway functionality. i have all my configuration done and working for 1 e1. and i just need to support more channels going through to the PBX from the router.

i.e as an example put another 2 extra e1(VWIC) modules just to increase the capacity of the channels between the PBX and the router. Sort of make them act as a bigger pipe between the PBX and the router.

is my question not clear?

Hi,

I think that you can use the 'preference' IOS command, to select de output E1 in the pots dial-peers. You will have, at least, two pots dial-peers, one for each E1.

And for incomming calls, you could use, for example, the 'translation-rule' command, and the 'translate called' command in the voice-port.

Hope this helps,

Juan Luis

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800ca716.html#wp1019136

i found the above link to a document which contains what i need, the trunk group command.