cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 5.x and Exchange 2007

ibschrader78
Level 1
Level 1

When trying to switch from a 2003 Exchange partner server to a 2007 Exchange server the reconfiguration guide states to "Configure Offline Address Book (OAB) Distribution for Outlook 2003 and Earlier Clients".

Does anyone know why this should be done? Is Unity using an OAB when operating normally or is it only for when the Exchange server might go offline?

In addition, is changing the partner server from a 2007 Exchange server back to a 2003 Exchange server not supported?

The configuration guide only states how to change from 2003 to 2007, and not the other way around.

Thanks in advance for any input.

The configuration guide I keep mentioning is this one: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/upgrade/guide/ex/5xcuruge050.html

11 Replies 11

ivillegas
Level 6
Level 6

To configure the OAB on 2003 server In the Mailbox section , choose Configure Offline Address Book (OAB) Distribution for Outlook 2003 and Earlier Clients

Yes, thank you. I am not looking to know HOW I do it, I am looking to know WHY I do it.

Why does Unity need this? What would still work if I neglected to do this?

did you ever get an answer to this? curious myself.

I am also needing to know "why" this must be done. Did anyone on this thread learn why Unity needs public folder distribution in EX2007?

Thank you.

a.gooding
Level 5
Level 5

is it at alll possible to have a step by step on this? im currently planning on a same type of upgrade. we have 2003 right now but the customer is moving to 2007. what do i need to do from the UNITY end to have the migration working?

either im getting old or lazy or both :). thanks. ballpark, whats the expected downtime for this? may have to go do this today as the customer has already migrated to 2007 as of last night :(, and of course they are calling us this morning saying that they are not getting voicemail :)

This is somewhat dependent on the size of the deployment, but I wouldn't expect more than an hour start to finish.

Brandon

Thanks for the quick responses on this

Depending on the exact nature of your problem, and whether or not the old partner server is still running, you might be able to solve "oops, we migrated exchange servers and forgot about Unity" problems by simply running the permission wizard and include the new servers and mailstore.

You can then schedule the actual partnerserver change for a later more convenient time.

Also the time required for changing partner server when Unity fail-over is involved is more than double because you need to disable the failover and re-enable it again afterwards.

Great thanks, it was really the first time we were doing this and it was a fast request from the customer so we were a little less than prepared.

that being said, we did the upgrade last night and everything went fine. Instructions from running permissions wizard to the message store wizard were on spot. (The only thing that caused us an extra five mins is calling our Microsoft Engineer to find out how to actually run the script :) ). The Users were migrated a couple of days ago so the time on the messages were incorrect. we are monitoring today so we will see.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: