Views
Helpful
Replies

Difficulty setting up SPA3102 to make outbound PSTN calls

davidgeorgencl
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all.

I am in Spain at the moment and trying to set up a SPA3102 so that I can make VOIP calls (using freecall.com) but also be able to make PSTN calls from the same phone. What I ideally want is to be able to use the PSTN line for national calls, and use VOIP for international and mobile calls. This is the first time I´ve worked with something like this so unfortunately I have no experience, although my knowledge of computers and networking in general is reasonable.

I first tried setting it up following the instructions on FreeCall's website (i.e. filling in the Proxy and Registration section). This worked flawlessly for making calls via Freecall, however I could see no way of allowing me to dial out via PSTN.

I then found http://www.aoakley.com/articles/2008-01-08.php and followed the instructions (bearing in mind that I am in Spain so some of the settings may be different here, but I could not find a way of obtaining them).

When I get to the stage where I test the PSTN line with the unit switched on (i.e. before I fill in the VOIP details), I hear a Spanish dial tone (not the one the SPA3102 usually generates) and I am able to make calls (sometimes, other times the dial tone just keeps playing). When I dial the keys there is a huge amount of echo on the keytone and also my voice. I suspect that is why the success of making a call is intermittent. Once the call connects this improves somewhat though.

I then filled in my VOIP details under the Gateway1 section (leaving the Proxy and Registration section blank), and changed the dialing plan to (x.<:@gw1>). Upon testing the phone again, it was exactly the same as before - Spanish dial tone and lots of echo, using the PSTN line.

The only way I have found that enables me to get back the SPA3102 dialtone is to change the following setting under Proxy and Registration:

Make Call Without Reg: Yes

However once doing this, all calls made are unsuccessful. I have tried the following dial plans:

(x.<:@gw0>)

(x.<:@gw1>)

(*xx|[3469]11|0|00|[2-9]xxxxxx|1xxx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|xxxxxxxxxxxx.)

(<#9,:>xx.<:@gw0> | *xx|[3469]11|0|00|[2-9]xxxxxx|1xxx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|xxxxxxxxxxxx.

I am really stuck as to how to proceed.

To summarise, my VOIP calls are only successful when set up under Proxy and Registration.

The PSTN line only works when Make Call Without Reg is set to no, but when that is the case I cannot make VOIP calls. There is also a lot of echo during the dial tone and call success is temperamental.

I don´t know what the PSTN settings should be on a Spanish phone line (such as impedance etc).

All incoming PSTN calls work fine.

I'll greatly appreciate any help offered.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

davidgeorgencl
Level 1
Level 1

Update

I seem to have solved the problem.

I have reverted to entering my VOIP details in the Proxy and Registration section, as opposed to entering them in the Gateway 1 section as suggested by the tutorial.

I was then still having problems phoning mobiles on the PSTN line (number was 633 499...) after dialing #9, so I moved that bit of the dial plan to end of the line and it seems to have cured that problem. My dial plan now reads:

(*xx|[3469]11|0|00|[2-9]xxxxxx|1xxx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|xxxxxxxxxxxx. | <01:00441> | <07:00447>  |  <#9,:>xx.<:@gw0>)

There is much less echo on the PSTN line now too. I'm a bit baffled as to why though as I haven't changed any settings that would affect that.

If anyone could supply the settings for a Spanish line (in particular the impedances), I would still appreciate them.

Thanks