Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA112 reboots after hangup and ...

fredericb1
Level 1
Level 1

I just bought a SPA112 and set it up for voip.ms

I've noticed that it's rebooting itself quite often and I have pin pointed one of the cases when it happens and I can reproduce it.

1. Dial a voip.ms extension  from the Line1, makes my MicroSIP ring on my desktop.

2. Answer on the desktop.

3. Hangup in MicroSIP.

Expected behavior, that happens sometimes: Line1 gets informed of hangup, turns sound off and then goes to Dial Tone.

Experienced behavior: Sometimes the expected behavior happens, but usually, the line turns off, it tries to get the dial tone off, but the SPA112 just reboots.

Side note: Sometimes the SPA112 just reboots for ever (looping)

This behavior also happens in other cases:

- I pickup the phone from line1, and it reboots.

- I pickup the phone from line1, hang up not long after, and it reboots.

- During a phone call that was 37 minutes long, it suddenly rebooted.

- After ending a phone call with a telephone (but I assume the other user hanged up before me, thus creating this behavior)

- Sometimes it just randomly reboots, but it's been better than my 1st SPA112 that I exchanged which simply froze... (no need to go into that one)

- I receive a call, I pickup and it reboots. The other party keeps on ringing on his side.

If I hangup the phone on line1 before the other user, I seems to work normally.

It basically seems to reboot when it switches from CC_CST_IDLE to CC_CST_DIALING after the other party hangs up.

I'm attaching a Log file that includes this behavior toward the end.

Log notes:

- I changed some strings to hide my username and phone number.

- Line 697: The connection is opened (people can talk)

- Line 698 to 833 (inclusive) The other party hung up on me and by the time we get to line 833, this is when the SPA112 just rebooted.

- Line 834: SPA112 rebooted.

Handset Note: I'm using a VISTA 100 BELL telephone from Northern Telecom (without a power supply connected to it)

If anyone can help me figure the problem it would be greatly appreciated. It's the 2nd SPA112 that I go through and it's driving me nuts. (The 1st SPA112 didn't have the same issue, it was worst and would loose the LAN connection while keeping the LAN light ON and the SIP registration would get lost, power cycling wouldn't always make the device boot at all).

Hope the logs help, but naturally since the device seems to reboot, I'm not sure it's including what caused the issue within those logs.

31 Replies 31

fredericb1
Level 1
Level 1

Another note:
When this case happens:

- I pickup the phone from line1, and it reboots.

The most annoying is when it just reboots on a loop and never stops. It just happened to me right now and as I pickup, I basically don't hear any tone at all, it just reboots.

I have a short log about this case, but there isn't much in it. Since the device just loops for ever, it didn't log the reboot.

Note: In the case of an eternal reboot loop. I noticed that if I disconnect the SPA112 from the LAN, it stops rebooting.

So, it seems there are two things that are happening.

1. Crash on hangup or pickup (When the Unhook Tone should start, not sure how it's called)

2. Eternal reboots, gets solved by disconnecting SPA112 from LAN and waiting for a proper boot till the light is solid green followed by replugging the LAN.

I'll try setting up a static IP to try to solve the 2nd issue.

Setting a static IP seemed to help, but it's not consistent. It still loop-reboots once in a while. Maybe I'm just imagining that it's better. It seems like I don't have to unplug the LAN to have it eventually boot normally.

I also encountered another situation that makes me think that it might not have to do with generating the Dial Tone once the other user hangs up. This time, the called user hung up, I then heard the dial tone, but once I hung up on my side it rebooted. So I should add this to the case study. While this case is rare, it did happen. It usually crash/reboots before getting a dial tone after the other user hangs up.

Unfortunately, neither syslog.514.zip nor syslog.514-2.zip contain complete session - e.g. reboot including the activity preceding them. The first log contain regular call. You mentioned line numbers like 833, but such file contain 554 lines only.

544  SYS- system time zone changed from GMT to:GMT-08:00!
545  SYS- [profile_param_tbl_show]
546  SYS- [profile_param_tbl_show] total size (40256 + 0) = 40256
547  SYS- [profile_update_flash] 3954 usec
548  SYS- [profile_update_flash] need_reboot 0x0
549  SYS- ++++ retry query scaps
550  SYS- ++++ retry query scaps
551  SYS- +++ need tftp addr..
552  SYS- +++ need tftp addr..
553  SYS- +++ send scaps discovery query
554  SYS- +++ send scaps discovery query
--- END OF FILE ---

The second log contain just keep-alive SIP request and response.

So it's hard to give valuable advice.

But common cause for "surprising reboots" are caused by remote provisioning. Most of configuration changes require reboot. System time zone change is such kind of change. This reboot is postponed to end of current call.

Here's a more complete log that I just created.

It starts with the device ON, I then rebooted it via the admin website. It actually rebooted twice before booting normally and starting logging. I have also set DHCP back on earlier today (random fact). 

In this log, after the device reboots:

1. I created the case where someone calls me and I pickup really fast, as the 1st ring is still ringing. The device reboots.

2. After rebooting, I did the same case, but didn't answer until the full 1st ring ended. In that case, it didn't reboot.

I stopped logging after I thought it was pretty stable, after hanging up. *

* Just after this, I picked up the phone, and hung it up, and it rebooted, but that case isn't in the logs sadly.  Trying to stick to a reproducible case and this latter one feels random at the moment.

Hope those logs are more complete and can help pin point what might the cause.

EDIT: I have disabled provisioning today too.

Hi Dan,

At the moment, the device is on an infinite reboot loop. I will probably have to manage to hit the "reset" button at the right time for it to eventually reset the settings and boot normally. But while it's rebooting, I managed for a brief time go into the web interface and change settings. I decided to enable the Log Module and send all debug info to the syslog server. There seems to be some wrong data  CRC in data nodes, and it changes from time to time as the device periodically reboots. Maybe there is something in there that you could use to help you figure out what is happening in such a case. During this whole log, I haven't done any config changes, except browse the web interface once.

This is just a log for a cyclic reboot situation (I will resolve the cyclic reboot by resetting the device if I'm lucky).

I will try to create a log of the case study that includes the Log Module logs on my next test of the device rebooting when I fast answer incoming call.

Here's a more complete log with Line1 and Log Module enabled.

Steps found in this log:

1. Booted from full factory reset (finally got it to reset fully)

2. Setup Log Module.

3. Setup SIP account in Quick Setup.

4. Setup Line1 to Debug -> Full

5. Disabled Provisioning

6. 1st Test. (Called SPA, answered quickly, No problem, caller hang up, Still no problem)

7. 2nd Test (Called SPA, answered quickly, No problem, callee hang up, Still no problem)

8. 3rd Test (Called Outbound, callee answered, No problem, callee hang up, Still no problem)

9. Setup enabled NAT. (NAT Mapping Enable AND NAT Keep Alive Enable == yes )

10. 4th Test (Called SPA, answered quickly, Device Rebooted, caller keeps on ringing)

11. Disable NAT.

12. Same test as #10 and #6, but it rebooted like in #10.

13. Device rebooting

14. Doing Test 12 again.Same symptoms again.

15. Device rebooting

16. Doing Test 12 again, but waiting for a full ring. No problems.

17. Called outbound, no problem.

18. Going to factory reset via the web interface, to try Test12 again, without having NAT ever set... Will Create new log for this future test and post it in another response.

Here's a follow up on the complete log with Line1 and Log Module enabled.

2nd full log attached.

1. Booted from full factory reset (finally got it to reset fully)

2. Setup Log Module.

3. Setup SIP account in Quick Setup.

5. Disabled Provisioning

4. Setup Line1 to Debug -> Full (and setup the IP)

6. 1st Test. (Called SPA, answered quickly, and it rebooted. Caller keeps on ringing on his side)

7. Did it again, same symptoms.

8. Stopped syslog server and copied file.

Note: This time, i never touched the NAT settings, but the factory reset was a web interface reset compared to a button reset in the previous full log.

fredericb1
Level 1
Level 1

I did notice this line within the logs when it reboots:

SYS- System started: ip@192.168.100.3, reboot reason:H0

I'm not sure what H0 is.... maybe someone can elaborate ?

EDIT: Just found out that it says:
0x00000000 Boot due to power on, reported as "reboot reason:H0" in syslog

I certainly didn't power it off. Could the Power Supply that came with it not provide enough power, thus this issue ?

*** Interesting, I turned off a device from my lengthy list of plugged items and it seems to help a bit. Now, when the called user hangs up and the Dial Tone starts on my phone, it doesn't seem to reboot anymore. But it did still reboot in the case of me picking up the phone when the other user calls me.

EDIT: Nevermind, it still does it sometimes.

--> I might be onto something here. I'll try setting up the device by itself on a whole breaker and will reply to this response.

Haven't tried yet on a dedicated standalone power breaker.

I tried a cheap/weird mickey mouse phone and here is what I noticed:

- When calling someone, and that someone hangs up, going back to the Dial Tone seems to not reboot the device (at least for now.)

EDIT: Nevermind, it did it too.

- When someone calls me, the light in the middle of the mickey mouse phone briefly lights up, the phone doesn't get a chance to really ring and the SPA112 reboots. Thus not enough power to juice the ringer on that particular phone.

- Picking up or Hanging up the phone doesn't seem to make the device reboot (unlike my VISTA 100 that did once in a while)... at least for now.

It really feels like it's a power issue. Next step, testing on a standalone power source.

Still haven't tested with a standalone power source. But I noticed something else.

Again testing with my VISTA 100 from Northern Telecom and I noticed that setting the CPC Duration to 0.001 seems to help. Disabling it also, by setting it to 0 also works. UP TO NOW.

I tried about 5-6 times and no issues. I usually get the issue every time, or every second time, so it seems to help.

Now this would possibly be a fix for when the callee is hanging up. I'm not sure if this affects anything when picking up the phone and having the system reboot or not. Maybe there's another setting I could play with to improve on.

I basically need to find a fix for the case where my FXS rings and I quickly answer it. In those cases my device seems to still reboot. Is there another delay somewhere I could tweak or disable ? This reboot happens if I pickup before the full first ring ends. I'm not exactly sure when is the threshold for it to work or not, but if I pickup really quickly, it reboots, if I let it ring a full ring, it works. Any ideas ?

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Well, can't claim enlightenment.

Some reboots look like random. There is no apparent reason logged. It may be caused by power source (low power, spikes on potential, brownouts, an AC noise superimposed on DC potential) or by hardware fault of SPA112 itself.

Some reboots seems to have been related to pick up during first ring. It may be related to CID process running. Bell202 caller id method is running from first to second ring.

Also, it seems you have proxy defined by FQDN (e.g. montreal3.voip.ms) instead of IP (72.55.168.18:5060). It's known to cause some issues (but no reboots has been reported because of it so it may not affects you).

Unfortunately I have no solution for you. Just some "try it" proposals. Change proxy name to proxy IP. Change Caller ID method to other one, like ETSI FSK/v.23 (yes, it may cause the CID will not be displayed by phone, but we are trying to isolate reboot cause now). Your's power source should be considered reliable. And well, you can call Cisco's support for help. There is no good experience with SMB support department, as far as I know, but they may replace your's current device with new one if under warranty (it will solve issues caused by faulty device, but we don't know there is one such issue here for sure).

I've changed to using the IP already in the last two logs. That didn't seem to really do a difference.

I also changed the Caller ID to ETSI FSK + v.23, but the problem still happens.

I think I did solve at least one problem since the beginning, which is the reboot happening when the other party hangs up on me and my side switches from In Call to Hung Up to Dial Tone (which seems to be affected by the CPC Duration. Changing it to 0.001 or disabling it with 0 seems to help in my case.

I was wondering, when the device gets picked up (goes off the hook), I usually hear the Dial Tone right away, but I hear a click/voltage sound a brief moment after. What would control this interval between unhook and that brief moment after? I'd love to eliminate this delay and see if it helps.

EDIT: I've been also wondering about that "FXS Port Polarity Configuration" and how maybe this could have an effect. Especially considering that the CPC and Polarity seem to have dependencies on their setting. Right now, my polarity are all "Forward".

According your logs, it seems the phone you have connected to SPA112 doesn't honor CPC signal. So you can disable CPC.

There's no reason to hear click of any kind on line in dial-tone stage. There is no signal on POTS line that can explain it. So no interval to configure. Unless it is caused by connected phone itself it may manifest power supply instability or SPA112 malfunction.

According port polarity and similar POTS settings (like impedance and so on) they needs to be set according requirements of the phone you have connected to SPA112. There are no "defaults suitable for all" values. Note that incorrect settings of such kind of options should not cause SPA112 reboot.

Thanks for confirming. I thus disabled CPC. The answering Quickly bug still seems to affect me though. At least the device reboots normally every time in the last couple of hours of tests. The click/sound I hear right after unhooking might be cause by the phone. It does happen after the Dial Tone has started, that is why I thought maybe it would maybe be caused by another variable/setting.

I might just try to buy a "modern" phone and hope it fixes that particular problem. Until then, I'll just make sure to let the handset ring a full ring before answering it. I obviously wonder if this problem happens with other ATA's from cisco or other brands.

Is this reboot a symptom someone has been able to reproduce ? (Call your SPA112, and answer while the 1st ring is still ringing, see if the device reboots).