Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCA Upgrade Error

I upgraded a customer's UC520 to v7.0.3 using my laptop and CCA 2.0.1 and the upgrade went perfectly. I week later I upgraded CCA to v2.1 and did another customer withteh same laptop and the upgrade failed with the folowing error:

Warning:
While the device is being upgraded with new software, the following
activities should be avoided since they are harmfull and could leave
the device in an unpredictable state:
- Manually access the device CUE module
- Activate a new feature from the left panel
- Cancel software upgrade operation prematurely
Software upgrade for all components requested

Starting to upgrade IOS image...
(Time estimation: 3 minutes)

Uploading the image.

Determining available space...
Start uploading IOS image...
Installing new image on the device. Please wait...
Reading new image...
%Error opening ftp://*****:*****@10.1.1.10/uc500-advipservicesk9-mz.124-20.T2 (Incorrect Login/Password)

Software upgrade for one or more components failed.

Software upgrade failed.

I downgraded CCA back to v2.0.1 and it failed again.  There was no TFTP server or FTP server running on the machine and it was the exact machine that was used to successfully upgrade a system a few weeks before. The bad thing is, before the process failed it had wiped clean the flash, didn't roll back, and didn't give any indicationed that it actually did anything. I found out about teh wiped flash when issues started to happen a week later.

Why is this error happening?

Everyone's tags (4)
15 REPLIES

Re: CCA Upgrade Error

Could you post your entire CCA log file?  I would like to take a look at it to see what happened. 

I have looked under program files\cisco systems\smb\Cisco Configuration Assistant and all of the log files have today's date.  Should I look elsewhere?

Actually, this might be a problem of you uninstalling the program.  Do you not have the logs from when the problem occurred?

The log is suggesting that it was trying to connect to an IP and that the FTP had the incorrect username and password.  Which either means the application had the incorrect IP address or something else was answering the FTP request.

What I have shown here is all that the logs showed me at the time.  I was connected to the UC520 with CCA at the time, so the IP address must have been fine.  Maybe there was an FTP server on the network that I didn't know about?  We don't look after their IT.  Any way to force it to go th right way?  I have manually upgraded thsi system, but it would be good to know for teh future since using CCA to upgrade is much easier. 

The IP address it was trying to connect to was 10.1.1.10.  Is this a valid IP on the data network for this system?  Without seeing the network at the time, it would be hard for me to say why this happened.  When using CCA, it should be connecting to the computer that was performing the upgrade.  Were you local to the system when you tried to do this upgrade?  Did you enable a different NIC when you tried to do this?

10.1.1.10 was the computer doing the upgrade.  It was connected directly into the UC520.

I can send this to some developers to see if they have any insight into why you could get this message, but it appears to me that the problem would be another FTP server running.  Let me run it by them to see if they can come up with something different.

I had once performed a successful upgrade with CCA 2.1. I am aware of upgrades failing with the CCA program. I actually do know how to perform UC520 upgrades in CLI. Performing a UC520 upgrade in CLI will not break CCA compatibility if it is done correctly.

You will need a FTP server that is listening on port 21 and has access to the extracted UC520 software pack files and the extracted CUE files to do the UC520 upgrade in CLI. In addition, you will need to make a copy of the CME-Phone-Loads TAR file in the UC520 software pack and remove the unnecessary loads from the CME-Phone-Loads TAR file when you are doing the upgrade in CLI. This speeds up the UC520 upgrade and ensures that you do not consume all of the UC520 flash memory with unneeded phone loads. 7-Zip can be used to remove the unnecessary phone loads from the copied CME phone loads TAR file.

Procedure for upgrading UC520 unit in CLI:

• Extract UC520 software pack ZIP file
  • Make copy of CME Phone Loads TAR file and remove unneeded phone loads. The copied version of this TAR must include the phone loads of the phones deployed at your customer site, but should have unneeded phone loads deleted.
  • Extract CUE ZIP file found in the extracted UC520 software pack. This needs to be extracted in order to do the CUE upgrade in CLI.
  • Back up the UC520 configuration, including the CUE configuration. This can be accomplished by either doing a full configuration backup in CCA or copying the running configuration over to a FTP server in CLI, and then performing a CUE backup with CLI or the CUE Web GUI.
  • Deleting all of the files from the UC520 flash memory, except for the IOS image file and the vlan.dat file if they are still in the flash memory.
  • Copying over the new IOS image over to the UC520 flash memory.
  • Verifying the new IOS image using the verify command. The Embedded Hash and the Computed Hash must match, and the Embedded hash verification must succeed.
  • Delete the old IOS image from the UC520 flash memory if it is still there. Do not delete the new IOS image from the UC520 flash memory.
  • Extract the copied and modified version of the CME phone loads TAR using the archive tar /xtract command
  • Extract the CME support files TAR file using the archive tar /xtract command. This TAR should be the unmodified version included in the software pack.
  • Copy over the new factory default configuration file for your UC520 model to the UC520 flash memory. The factory default configuration file for your UC520 unit starts with the UC520 model number and has a .cfg extension. Be sure that the model number matches the model number shown in the show version command. For example, the 8-user version of the UC520 with FXO ports and a wireless access point has the UC520W-8U-4FXO-K9 model number. In the 7.0.3 software pack, the default configuration file for the 8-user UC520 with FXO ports and a wireless access point would be UC520W-8U-4FXO-K9-factory-7.0.3.cfg.
  • Perform the CUE upgrade if the CUE version currently installed on your UC520 unit does not match the CUE version included in the UC520 software pack. The CUE version currently installed on your UC520 unit can be found by executing the service-m i0/0 status command on your UC520 unit, or by launching CCA.
  • The CUE upgrade is done by ensuring that CUE is backed up, followed by a reload of the CUE module, followed by a clean install of the cue-main.ise.7.0.3.pkg, followed by a clean install of the cue-vm-license_50mbx_cme_ise.7.0.3.pkg file, followed by a CUE restore. An upgrade install using the cue-main.ise.7.0.3.pkg is another way of doing the CUE upgrade. Details of CUE installation can be found at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity_exp/rel7_0/install/Install.html. Be sure to use the cue-main.ise.7.0.3.pkg when you are installing CUE on the UC520 unit.
  • Update the tftp-server and telephony-service portions of your config
  • Adding ip http server flash:/gui/ to your config if upgrading from a pre-7.0.2 version to 7.0.2 or later

Remember that on UC520 and UC540 units, the reload command reboots the UC520 or UC540 unit, but does not reboot the CUE module. Repowering a UC520 or UC540 unit will reset both the UC520 or UC540 unit and the associated CUE module.

Sorry to jump in here but this is the exact issue I am having also. John, I have used your guide here as a template and all works fine (thanks so much) until I get to the CUE install. I have tried both a clean install and an upgrade. Obviously the clean eradicate all and I had to start again but essentially I fail at the same spot. I cannot run the software install to extract the cue package from my ftp server. I am using Vista ultimate with FTP server installed as a service. I have tried as an authenticated user as well as anonymous. The install fails with Error: Download error Can not download cue-main.uc500.7.1.3.pkg
error code 530 : error type 'Access denied: 530'. I can see the file in the directory on the ftp server within Vista but obviously not from within putty. I am using ssh transport.  I cant find a code list to determine where this may be pointing. Any ideas?

Paul

Did you type in the full FTP URL when you tried to do the CUE upgrade? In addition, did you also ensure that you typed in the correct FTP credentials if they are needed?

A couple of comments/questions. With some comments that may be totally incorrect

I ask these questions as the Default VLANs are 10.1.1.X for voice and 192.168.10.0/30 for Data.

1. Does the customer's UC520 have a Data VLAN Configured?
  2. Was the Laptop set for DHCP to obtain an IP Address or was it statically IP'ed?

Based on some of the errors I keep seeing listed here (Support Group) regarding the CCA 2.1 I'm beginning to believe that some of the built in 'scripts' that it uses to preform some of its tasks such as Pkg upgrades have certain variables 'hard coded' to look for specific things. In this case an FTP Server on the 192.168.10.x Data network and NOT on the Voice VLAN of 10.1.1.x

The UC520 has teh following VLANS:

VLAN1 - 192.168.10.0/24 - management

VLAN 100 - 10.1.1.0/24 - voice

VLAN 200 - 192.168 0.0/24 - data

I tried it on a statically configured machine (10.1.1.10) and also on a machine getting it's address for the data vlan via DHCP.  They both failed with the same error.

I am having same issue while performing software upgrade to 8.0 through the CCA v 2.2.(1)...  All ping connectivity is good.

Software upgrade failed.

Warning:
While the device is being upgraded with new software, the following
activities should be avoided since they are harmfull and could leave
the device in an unpredictable state:
- Manually access the device CUE module
- Activate a new feature from the left panel
- Cancel software upgrade operation prematurely
Software upgrade for all components requested

Starting to upgrade IOS image...
(Time estimation: 3 minutes)

Uploading the image.

Determining available space...
Start uploading IOS image...
IOS Upgrade in progress, please wait... (1)
Installing new image on the device. Please wait...
Reading new image...
%Error opening ftp://*****:*****@192.168.0.1/uc500-advipservicesk9-mz.150-1.XA (Incorrect Login/Password)

Software upgrade for one or more components failed.

Software upgrade failed.

It is times like this i really wish Cisco would make a CCA client for Linux.. Oh how life would be so much easier not having to fight with the inbuilt Windows Firewall, even when you turn the damn thing of it is still working in the back ground :D

OK a couple of suggestions for those of you having issues.

1. Make sure you have no TFTP or FTP programs running directly on your system

2. Make sure that the network the UC is connected to has no TFTP/FTP servers running, if there is request for them to be turned of or do it yoursle if you have that access, this will cause you pain to no end if they are not turned off.

3. Where possible disconnect the UC from the network and make sure you are the only device connected to it

4. Try and be directly connected to it, AVOID doing something silly like doing the upgrade over wireless, oh how many systems i have seen turn funky after an attempt of using wireless to do the upgrade :)

5. Turn of all adapters on your system with the exception of your Local Area Connection (Ethernet port) that is being used to talk to the UC, in other words make sure the wireless adapter is fully and completely turned of, not just switching the button to off, go into your network control panel and turned the device off totaly (Click Disable).

6.Put the upgrade files in a directory that is not write protected, sometimes on the desktop or directly on the root of the drive is a very good option, beleive it or not this is a huge problem i have come across so many times.

7. If you are using Vista (Please don't) look at running a VM of XP just to do you CCA stuff, Vista has got to be your biggest enemy when working with CCA and conducting upgrades, i have lab tested this multiple times in so many ways, i always come back to the same results a "MASSIVE FAIL"

8. Windows 7 is actually quite good, but it still has issues, first make sure all the rules entries are in your exceptions list, try and go to advance options and make sure everything is cleared to go, secondly turn it of for the upgrade if you are comfortable with doing that, with windows 7 i found the firewall does not remain active after you have instructed it to turn off.

9. Avoide doing manual ugprades where possible, unless you have done them over and over again you can hit some pretty unusual problems and at times can put your system in a very unstable state, so do not do it on a production system unless your prepared to spend a lot of time to get the system back to normal.

10. last but not least, make a backup of the system before doing anything, no really i beg you to do this, loosing a config is the worst thing and i just get this feeling your want to jump of a tall building, you really need to avoid that feeling, so do the right thing.. no the proper thing and make a backup before you even consider touching anything.

I know this may not be the answers you are looking for, but use this guide as a point of reference to avoid as many problems as possible, i personaly myself go through all these problems on a daily basis, i work shop everything up and no two problems are ever the same, sometimes even the resolutions are not even the same, but most importantly take your time, don't get yourself twisted into a bother or panic frantically, a cool head will always prevail over an irrational head :)

Cheers,

David

(PS) Have a good Australia day to al you Aussies out there tomorrow :)

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

To upgrade this posting and hopefully help others in this predicament; I managed to get my ftp service operational after repeated trial and error. The problem was 1. the ftp server cannot run from the same PC which is performing the CCA/CLI upgrade. 2. On a windows machine you must perform an isolated ftp installationfrom this 2nd pc connected to the LAN. With the correct credentials you should be able to then connect via the CUE service and download the updates.Thanks to everyone for your helpful advice.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content