Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 540 Topology / BRI

mihnenfeld
Level 1
Level 1

Dear community,

1.     I've set up a UC540 BRI with a Cisco300 Managed Switch and 7 IP phones (SPA501G).

The UC's first LAN-Port is connected to my PC, while the Switch is pluggd into the UC's Extension port.

All 7 IP phones are attched to PoE Ports of the Switch. Now i am able to configure the phones with the CCA,

but in it's Topology View, only the Switch is detected, not the phones, which is not much of a problem, i was just wondering,

what might be wrong here.  

2.    And there is another question:

Is there any way to expand the 2(two) BRI port up to a third, so i can use the system with 3 ISDN connections?

Best regards,

Malte    

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

2. you can add a two ports ISDN BRI card.

View solution in original post

Hi Malte,

To be able to see the phones in the topology you should add the switch to the site. On the topology screen right click on the switch and add it to the site. Then when you login to the CCA it will ask you for credentials both for the UC and the switch and you will be able to see the phones there.

HTH,

Alex

*Please rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

2. you can add a two ports ISDN BRI card.

Ok, thanks so far. Am I right, thinking that this card is for the big extension slot in the middle of the device?

I hope someone can help me with my first point, now that i moved the post into the right area.

Greets

Malte

Hi Malte,

To be able to see the phones in the topology you should add the switch to the site. On the topology screen right click on the switch and add it to the site. Then when you login to the CCA it will ask you for credentials both for the UC and the switch and you will be able to see the phones there.

HTH,

Alex

Thanks, so far.

Could anyone please give me a quick guide, on how to connect the device (UC540+IP phones) to the PSTN and how to assign the external numbers for each phone, using the CCA ? Please inform me, if this isnt the appropriate forum

Regards,

Malte

Hello Malte,

Please check CCA 3.2.1 admin guide page 447 to p.450 about assigning external numbers to internal extension. If you want to have a particular CallerID please check CCA 3.2.1 admin guide p.461 - p.463.

Basically you need to add these number to your dial plan in CCA.

You may connect you UC500 system with patch cord to the BRI NT. Then just configure the PSTN trunk in CCA Configure-> Telephony > Ports and Trunks > PSTN Trunks.

Basic Rate Interface (BRI)

If a Basic Rate Interface (BRI) is present on the system, configure settings as

described in the following table.

NOTE If the ISDN PRI is present and selected and if one or more BRI interfaces

are also present, you must set the BRI switch type. The Switch Type parameter is

used to set the ISDN switch type on the BRI interface to avoid conflicts.

Setting Description

BRI Switch Type - Choose one of the following the BRI switch types, as directed by your service provider: Basic 5ESS, Basic DMS100, Basic NI, NTT, Basic 1TR6, Basic NET3, VN3, Basic QSIG.

Bearer Capability - Choose one of the following, as directed by your service provider: None, Speech, or 3100 Hz.

ISDN Static TEI - Choose None or select a number to statically configure the Terminal Endpoint Identifier (TEI) value, as directed by your service provider. The TEI value represents any ISDN-capable device attached to an ISDN network that is the terminal endpoint. TEIs are used to distinguish     between several different devices using the same ISDN links.

HTH,

Alex

EDIT: If you are not sure how you can accomplish the previous steps mentioned above or if the results are not what you need please call SBSC local number and get assistance for faster resolution.

Alright, thanks for  the competent correspondence.

What i actually needed was to chose the right BRI Switch Type (Basic NET3 for Germany) and ISDN Static TEI, which in my case had to be set to "0". Your posts were very helpful, i think it should work out now.

Greeting, Malte