cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Customer unable to get IP through PC port on 509g????

danielwiebe
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

I had a customer call me yesterday stating they can not get a laptop network connection from the PC port on about half of their 509g sets. When they plug the laptop in they get a "network cable unplugged" message. I tried the simple stuff remotely, change cables, change laptop, reboot phone....

I can't say for sure this ever worked on all the phones as they have a separately cabled data network but I did use my laptop on quite a few of the phones during install and they were all fine. It's also possible it's PEBKAC

The site is about a 4 hour trip each way so I'd really like to fix this remotely. I do have access to CCA and CLI from here. Any help would be appreciated.

UC560 (Patched

All spa509G sets

2 ESW500 24 port switches

Dan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Daniel,

Yes you can paper clip it

Just remember that it will default the switches and will also be changed from static assignment to dynamic when you do this... Only do this if it is last resort, and make sure you are on the latest firmware (2.1.9) I think is the latest one

Just curious though, does CCA see them in the topology window? If it does then the password you are using for CCA to access the switches are the same across all the devices, if the switch is added to the site, and the passwords are different it will ask you to authenticate to them each time you go to log on.

Cheers,

David.

(PS) Keep pestering you Cisco AM for demo hardware, or go for NFR stuff so you can setup a mini LAB, but if you have a nice enough AM they will try and assist you with some demo kit

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Daniel,

Couple of silly questions, but have you got the user to reset the phone back to factory defaults using the phones menu system? Also when they plug the cable in can they pick up the handset and still make calls or does the phone go into a stale state mode?

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Hi david thanks for replying.

Yes I verified the phone works fine either plugged in to the laptop or not. I haven't gotten him to factory reset yet.

Here's a thought. Could it have something to do with one switch? I'm just thinking it's about half the phones and there are two switches.....

Hi Daniel,

Ok we have a picture being painted here now

Can you provide further details on your network topology please:

• How are the switches configured are they setup with static IP's
  • The UC-560 has 3 Gig-E ports has each switch occupied a port for themselves or are you daisy chaining the switches?
  • Are the switches on the latest downloadable Firmware from the support center site?
  • Has each switch port on both switches been setup as IP Phone+Desktop ? (Please do not do this to the trunk ports I.E the Gig-E ports on the switches, have them set as "Switch" mode)

In CCA right click on the switch in the topology window and click on SmartPort settings, set each port up right if there is nothing on them right now, make sure you apply the settings and then save configuration after you have done that, FYI this can take a few minutes to apply the changes

Let us know how you get on

Cheers,

David.

• How are the switches configured are they setup with static IP's

Yes both have static IP

• The UC-560 has 3 Gig-E ports has each switch occupied a port for themselves or are you daisy chaining the switches?

Yes both switches connect directly to the UC 560 on 0/1/1 and 0/1/0 I checked smart ports on the uc560 and they are both set to switch with the correct native vlan.

• Are the switches on the latest downloadable Firmware from the support center site?

I think we are getting somewhere now! I tried to login to verify and can't get in to either switch. Password error. This strikes me as odd because nobody should have been in there and I only know of one other person with the "old" password. I'm going to have to call the customer and see if they were in there. If not I believe  a paper clip should fix the password problem correct?

• Has  each switch port on both switches been setup as IP Phone+Desktop ?  (Please do not do this to the trunk ports I.E the Gig-E ports on the  switches, have them set as "Switch" mode)

I'm just going by memory but yes. That is the default for all ports except the trunk ports on these guys right?

Maybe if I post enough CIsco will send me a free lab system? Please PM me for the address.

Hi Daniel,

Yes you can paper clip it

Just remember that it will default the switches and will also be changed from static assignment to dynamic when you do this... Only do this if it is last resort, and make sure you are on the latest firmware (2.1.9) I think is the latest one

Just curious though, does CCA see them in the topology window? If it does then the password you are using for CCA to access the switches are the same across all the devices, if the switch is added to the site, and the passwords are different it will ask you to authenticate to them each time you go to log on.

Cheers,

David.

(PS) Keep pestering you Cisco AM for demo hardware, or go for NFR stuff so you can setup a mini LAB, but if you have a nice enough AM they will try and assist you with some demo kit

Cool thanks David.

I can see them from the CCA login screen but my only options are to add them to the site (which fails) and to see their IP addresses. I can't login to them directly either via telnet or the web interface and it does give me a username/password error. I'm connected to the site via ssl vpn but I can't see how that would make a difference. I figure even if  default them I can find their new IP's easy enough using CDP and I should be good to go.

Fingers crossed this saves me a 10 hour + day.

EDIT: The last firmware was released aug 2010. These were NIB Sept 2011. I don't recall upgrading the firmware but that's beacuse they are probably already at 2.1.19.

Hi Daniel,

No worries... This should be less than an hour job, defaulting it should take less than 5 minutes, then quickly login and set the IP addresses up on both of them, then set the new username/password (Try and use the same one as the UC-560 much easier to manage with CCA then).

Once you dont all that add them to site in CCA and then make sure the CDP configuration information has correctly propogated to them and they are setup correctly.

You should be able to do this in well under an hour

If this still does not resolve your problem then I urge you to log a SBCS case as soon as possible.

Cheers,

David.